Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Theft Auto C (PC) & what it means to flight simmers

If you have any technical interest in seeing what the next flight sim might look like, I think that GTA V is worth a look. I've been exploring the GTA5 world. I think that it is an amazing virtual world. In short here's what stands out to me:

• Much of the land geography scenery is comprised of textures that are either photoreal or close to it. They look good from altitude & from up close. Wind movements of grass and trees has a level of animation.

• The textures of roadway, lighting, & buildings is repetitive in a very realistic manner. Many of the buildings and structures still have an drawing look vs photo. They're very high resolution. Either 90% of the structures are individual textures or there are so many textures that the repetition is not noticeable.

• AI is generated by the server and displayed onto the client. AI exists in many forms
      • People & animals
      • Land vehicles
      • Air vehicles
      • Water vehicles.
      • I've not seen any AI water creatures.

I'm posting this because I'd like to hear the thoughts of others. I'm also curious to see what some of the more technically minded folks think about the likelihood is of seeing these features in a virtual world that encompasses the entire planet as opposed to a just small 400 square mile island.
    Last edited by Karl; May 5, 2015, 02:46 AM.

Great summary Karl! No purchase necessary, youtube is your friend here. The PC version probably has better resolution, so keep that in mind when doing a search.

Comment

If a future flight sim were to have the same amount of detail as GTA V.. Bare in mind flight simulator has aiports around the world.. So with that size of textures needed to be rendered in real time.. Im not sure we have the hardware required to run such a large map... YET! But then again.. 7 years ago majority thought 1 Terabyte HDD was a myth.. :P

Interesting thought nonetheless.
      [IMG]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0497.png[/IMG]

Comment

Here a look a the area from a wider perspective:

https://youtu.be/l9sszk9JRvA

Comment

If anyone is interested in acquiring GTA V with the Great White Shark bundle (In-game money), it is going for $40 until December 3, 2015. I think this is the cheapest I have seen the bundle go for. You can use this link:

Grand Theft Auto V + Great White Shark Bundle

Comment

The rest of us all have the Steam version. I wonder if they connect with this non-steam version? I had to set it aside. The weather was getting warm & I was spending too much time exploring the GTA world. It's pretty cool. Now that the weather getting cold again......

EDIT: I see that it's only $37 on Steam right now.

Comment

I think all PC versions will link up to each other Karl. Reason being, GTA uses their own "Social Club" networking system. Since we have to use that system to add friends even if they are already friends on steam, I highly doubt any PC version wouldn't be able to connect.

Comment

The one thing that I hate about FSX or P3D is the roads. They are the most ugly thing in the flight sim. If they could map out the roads of the cities and then autogen buildings and trees around the roads that would make it so much better. Then they could sell realistic cities as add-ons. Roads have to be smooth as in real life with realistic overpasses and bridges. I'm sure it took them a very long time to model LA in GTA V.
                [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0027.png[/img]

Comment

For future reference: The standard(Social club only-no steam) version, and Steam WILL work together, Lazer, and Travis have steam, I now have standard, we have played together a few times.
                  [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RrDpHEG.jpg[/IMG]
                  [url]www.fsxblueangels.com[/url]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X