Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Your Foot In The Door

I've met a lot of you briefly on TS3 and there is such a variety of people here. Pilots, Ex-military, Flight Instructors, and so on. I'm going on 22, I've never had a job in my life and nobody will anyone hire me and my time is up. I pay bills now and that's eaten almost all of my savings. I love aviation and I know there are a lot of things that I could do but I have no idea what I want to do and I certainly don't know where to begin. I have no direction in life and that terrifies me. Any tip, any idea, any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

An unfortunate observation (if I am not mistaken)
    - My name is John
    - I own a .22 handgun
    - I have no direction in life

John Hinckley, Jr took six shots at Ronald Reagan with a .22 and was later quoted saying "I have no direction in life".
    [CENTER]
    [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0298.png[/img][/CENTER]

What are you good at doing?
    What do you like to do?
    What interests you?
    Did you graduate high school?
    Greetings from Dale
    Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

What are your values, and which are most important to you? I suggest you start by writing down a list and, very importantly, put those values in order of priority - which will probably take some thought and time.

Comment

Hi john just saw your post and felt compelled to respond. I in no way mean to be little your situation but you make your own direction in life and the fact you do not have a job and appear to be unable to get employed does not mean you have no direction. You really need to focus on what you can offer a prospective employer and go into an interview firmly believing you can add something to there company if you do not feel able to add anything to the company don't apply for the job you have to have the belief and confidence to persuade the prospective employer that not hiring you would be a mistake. It sounds very much to me that you have a very negative attitude and that is your personal barrier that you alone will need to work through. Think of it this way you are a healthy young man with a loving family, caring friends and a lot of years ahead of you.
        I also could take a negative look on life in regards to recent events as I am 27 and have just undergone a serious surgery as my artery connected to my heart ruptured and on top of that I have been told that I have passed this horrible condition onto my son and no doubt our baby we are expecting anyday and incase that wasn't bad enough the doctors are telling me that the life expectancy for someone with my condition is 40 to 45 at best. But as many will tell you I am a very positive person and I look at my life this way:
        I have a wonderfull partner and a fantastic son and soon to have another.
        I spent most of my life as a professional mountain biker.
        I have a family who although absent some times deeply care for me .
        I could be in Ethiopia starving to death or some war torn country watching my loved ones being murdered.
        I vow to live everyday as if its my last and if someone tells me I cant do something it inspires me more to prove them wrong.

In summary although right at this moment you may feel crap and cant to seem to find your way you could always be worse.
        You need to sit and think about where you want to be in 5 years time then focus on that goal grab life by the balls tell yourself you wont let life beat you and don't stop working until you achieve your goals if you work hard enough you will achieve your dreams.
        I was told I had this condition when I was 11 and I would lead a restricted life well since then I have become a professional mountain biker and traveled the world, Learnt to fly and now hold my lapl, Found a wonderfull girl, the job of my dreams,Raised a family and got some amazing friends.
        The life you want is out there but no body is going to hand it to you you have to get out there and claim it and don't let anyone stop you.

All the best buddy and if you ever want to chat you will find me on teamspeak most days-Edd.

IF YOU DONT LIVE ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH ROOM!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sound View Post
          What are you good at doing?
          What do you like to do?
          What interests you?
          Did you graduate high school?
          What are you good at doing? - Java programming, just about anything dealing with computers, and sharpshooting.
          What do you like to do? - Emulate games, play music, and assist those who need help whenever and wherever I can
          What interests you? - Aviation as a whole, aviation accident investigations, conspiracies, conspiracy theories, online gaming, music, and firearms
          Did you graduate high school? - Graduated '11 continued to two years of college as a computer science major and my love of technology slowly faded away

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          What are your values, and which are most important to you? I suggest you start by writing down a list and, very importantly, put those values in order of priority - which will probably take some thought and time.
          Yes it will take quite a bit of time, but I know what value will always be at the top of the list.
          1. Family will always come first

Originally posted by edd2287 View Post
          Hi john just saw your post and felt compelled to respond. I in no way mean to be little your situation but you make your own direction in life and the fact you do not have a job and appear to be unable to get employed does not mean you have no direction. You really need to focus on what you can offer a prospective employer and go into an interview firmly believing you can add something to there company if you do not feel able to add anything to the company don't apply for the job you have to have the belief and confidence to persuade the prospective employer that not hiring you would be a mistake. It sounds very much to me that you have a very negative attitude and that is your personal barrier that you alone will need to work through. Think of it this way you are a healthy young man with a loving family, caring friends and a lot of years ahead of you.
          I also could take a negative look on life in regards to recent events as I am 27 and have just undergone a serious surgery as my artery connected to my heart ruptured and on top of that I have been told that I have passed this horrible condition onto my son and no doubt our baby we are expecting anyday and incase that wasn't bad enough the doctors are telling me that the life expectancy for someone with my condition is 40 to 45 at best. But as many will tell you I am a very positive person and I look at my life this way:
          I have a wonderfull partner and a fantastic son and soon to have another.
          I spent most of my life as a professional mountain biker.
          I have a family who although absent some times deeply care for me .
          I could be in Ethiopia starving to death or some war torn country watching my loved ones being murdered.
          I vow to live everyday as if its my last and if someone tells me I cant do something it inspires me more to prove them wrong.

In summary although right at this moment you may feel crap and cant to seem to find your way you could always be worse.
          You need to sit and think about where you want to be in 5 years time then focus on that goal grab life by the balls tell yourself you wont let life beat you and don't stop working until you achieve your goals if you work hard enough you will achieve your dreams.
          I was told I had this condition when I was 11 and I would lead a restricted life well since then I have become a professional mountain biker and traveled the world, Learnt to fly and now hold my lapl, Found a wonderfull girl, the job of my dreams,Raised a family and got some amazing friends.
          The life you want is out there but no body is going to hand it to you you have to get out there and claim it and don't let anyone stop you.

All the best buddy and if you ever want to chat you will find me on teamspeak most days-Edd.

IF YOU DONT LIVE ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH ROOM!!!!
          I'm by no means negative, I am simply terrified of the future. My parents both have severe anxiety disorders; my father manages while my mother cannot even work. A lot of people think of anxiety as an excuse or as a feeling that you've created and as such should be able to control it. This is true for anxiety as it is psychologically 'all on your head'. However, with an anxiety disorder it's medically 'all in your head', caused by a serotonin imbalance in the brain and impossible to control without medication. I've made so much progress and gotten so much better but the serotonin imbalance isn't completely corrected. That being said my self image and my self confidence are borderline cocky which is so abnormal considering my condition. I'm lost but I assure you anything you interpret as negative is almost certainly going to be either rational or irrational fear.

Having the entire world open to me has an enormous effect on my anxiety. Ambiguity has caused anxiety attacks that have made me hypertensive. It's a very difficult thing to explain and even more difficult to understand.

In a nutshell; lost and terrified are the best words to describe my current state.
          [CENTER]
          [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0298.png[/img][/CENTER]

Comment

:fatigue:

Anyone? :|
            Last edited by dc9; August 25, 2014, 12:59 PM.
            [CENTER]

Comment

Ive decided I want to fly regional, where do I start heading that direction
              [CENTER]

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Who has read this thread:
              Working...
              X