Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you need to sit in a room by your self it raises 2 questions. 1- Why connect to a teamspeak a piece of software designed to interact in social groups and sit alone not wanting to be spoken too?
    and 2 why not use the unicom channel in the atc section you will not be moved from there?
    sigpic

Comment

I joined this group in the beginning when MS Flight was all the rage. But due to various work obligations I have been unable to be active for a long time. But, still, I checked in from time to time on the web site to see what was going on. Recently, I have been thinking about trying to be active again. But, unfortunately, after reading recent posts in this thread, I have reconsidered.

A hobby is supposed to be fun...a venue for relieving stress. It's not supposed to produce stress. But when members write smart*** and disrespectful remarks aimed at other members, that is exactly what happens.

I was invited into this group by some very friendly and helpful people. But in reading some of the recent comments in this thread, it seems like that spirit has been lost, at least by some. At least that is the way it appears to me, which also means visitors coming to this site will perhaps get the same impression.

Perhaps I am overreacting, but this has just struck a bad chord with me. If I have to come back and be aggravated, then it's not worth coming back.

Comment

Nate,

You're not the first to get irritated by the process of moving people from an area of the TS to the AFK/Idle area. I assume that is what we're discussing. How conversations that left you feeling like you were getting scolded came about is not clear. Regardless, getting moved like that does have tendency to leave a bad taste in people's mouths. I think if you think about it and separate the objective from the subjective you'll find that the bad feeling is easily set aside. Just apply logic.

The TS server has limited areas. This limitations become an issue at times that are difficult to predict. There is a demand for rooms that meet or exceed the number we have available. One solution that was adopted was to authorize the staff to move person who had been idle for more the 30 minutes to the AFK area. The intent was to ensure that the number of rooms available was sufficient to meet the demand.

If you had a conversation with another member, staff or not, that was unpleasant that is a separate issue. As to the issue of being moved to the AFK area, that is just simple logic.

For those who read this in the future: In a nutshell, if you're away for awhile you might get moved. It is just that simple. No happy. No sad. Just is.

Comment

Originally posted by Alkalinesea610 View Post
          I joined this group in the beginning when MS Flight was all the rage. But due to various work obligations I have been unable to be active for a long time. But, still, I checked in from time to time on the web site to see what was going on. Recently, I have been thinking about trying to be active again. But, unfortunately, after reading recent posts in this thread, I have reconsidered.

A hobby is supposed to be fun...a venue for relieving stress. It's not supposed to produce stress. But when members write smart*** and disrespectful remarks aimed at other members, that is exactly what happens.

I was invited into this group by some very friendly and helpful people. But in reading some of the recent comments in this thread, it seems like that spirit has been lost, at least by some. At least that is the way it appears to me, which also means visitors coming to this site will perhaps get the same impression.

Perhaps I am overreacting, but this has just struck a bad chord with me. If I have to come back and be aggravated, then it's not worth coming back.

Into each life a little rain must fall.

When I joined this group I didn't look for or expect there to be no issues. I looked at the patterns. What were the patterns of issues? Was there of pattern of issues being a predominant driving force? How were the issues resolved? Were the resolutions done with anger and use of authority. Were they resolved through adult conversation and debate?

What I found was that the pattern of issues were reasonable. I love my wife and kids but naturally they can do things that I find irritating. I also found that when issues did occur that they were handled in a very reasonable fashion.

I think that we do a great job in our community in the arena of it being a hobby. You're just seeing an example of how we don't bat a thousand. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'll also add that having conversations like this in public areas is okay in some respects. It gives members such as yourself the ability to see what some of the issues are and an insight on how solutions to problems have come about. I guarantee that someone in the future will read today's post in this thread and walk away being better informed and more comfortable that there is a method behind the madness.

As to the tenor of some of wording used that I intended to take up in a more private setting after I wrote my initial response. Then I saw your reply and chose to respond to that first. In other words, I saw the same thing that you did and planned to address it with my fellow staff members.

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyRyback53 View Post
            Well Dude, we have these Rules since 2012 and till now nobody complained about it. Now you come, a new broom in the clothet and wanna change some Rules, because you do not understand?
            Eat this again, shew and swallow it again:
            General Purpose Rooms 1-5
            These rooms have been provided to give our members a place to hang out with friends away from the main channel. These rooms are provided first come first serve. As such, please do not leave yourself in a GP room when noone else is in it.

So, What part u don't understand? I gues , you got a Memberbatch, and with that you accepted OUR community Terms and Rules. If you wasn't informed correctly, well, sorry for that, we will try to do this better, but if an Admin/Operator find you hanging around in these rooms for a long periode alone, he will come to you and beg you for leave the room. i know it is part of human being and allways a childish reaction to say:" there are people in the other rooms alone too". thats right but you don't know in this moment, if the Admin/Operator did not spoke or textmessage to this person. And, be shure, out
            Admins/Operators don't make their own Rules here. It is you choice to accept them or.....

Best Regards,

Casey

Oops, i forgot to ask you, Would you go into a public phonebox, close the door and sit there alone for hours????

Okay if this is a rule and has been since 2012... I totally understand. perfectly. but we should then enforce it, but in a way without the public ass reamings, shouting, scoldings... It should be done in a civil manner but I remind you of rule #2. I didn't all appreciate the reaming, but neither did i know the new enforcement of the rule. I have so been informed.

I also take it this message has now overrided Bob's encouragement to use the GP rooms when you feel overwhelmed or need to focus on something. So noted.

And no, Casey, i wouldn't go into a public phone box and sit there for hours...

And being just you... there was no reason to be rude about the post btw... this is a civil open forum question, because of conflicting points of view i just needed to know. I got my answer and let it ride on that.

MM3 Miller, USN Ret.

Comment

good question ed...

Comment

I believe it's worth remembering...
                • Our Teamspeak is not a public resource.
                • Your tax dollars don't pay for its upkeep.
                • Private member contributions keep it alive.
                • Those private members want it to operate in particular ways.
                • Those ways are outlined in their rules and guidelines.
                • Guests are welcome if they agree to those ways.
                • If they don't agree, they have several options.
                • One option is to find another Teamspeak that matches their preferences.
                • Another option is to finance another Teamspeak of their own.
                • He who pays the piper calls the tune.
                Follow our @msflights Twitter feed here for event reminders. Find out more about how our Twitter feed works here. Freeware aircraft and utilities in https://is.gd/StormsHangar

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                  I believe it's worth remembering...
                  • Our Teamspeak is not a public resource.
                  • Your tax dollars don't pay for its upkeep.
                  • Private member contributions keep it alive.
                  • Those private members want it to operate in particular ways.
                  • Those ways are outlined in their rules and guidelines.
                  • Guests are welcome if they agree to those ways.
                  • If they don't agree, they have several options.
                  • One option is to find another Teamspeak that matches their preferences.
                  • Another option is to finance another Teamspeak of their own.
                  • He who pays the piper calls the tune.
                  Agreed.

Comment

And I'm not rude, i'm German and that's the way i talk/write.
                    Have fun the way it is, thanx.
                    CaseyRyback59/Andreas
                    Staff Member
                    VA-Manager
                    https://www.facebook.com/CaseyRyback59
                    Feel free to visit my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Fairdriver

Comment

I'm sorry if people were rude to you in teamspeak, I would hope any moderator would talk to you in a respectful manner. If you need some quiet time but still want to be available to other users there's no reason you can't go into a vacant room, I don't recall us making any rules to the contrary. Just because there's 1 person in a room doesn't mean others are not allowed to enter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
                        I'm sorry if people were rude to you in teamspeak, I would hope any moderator would talk to you in a respectful manner. If you need some quiet time but still want to be available to other users there's no reason you can't go into a vacant room, I don't recall us making any rules to the contrary. Just because there's 1 person in a room doesn't mean others are not allowed to enter.
                        Thanks Kalo.

MM3 Miller, USN Ret.

Comment

Be aware that if a user is idle for an hour or more, then they are subject to being moved. Some users have been seen idle for upwards of 8 hours or more in channels.
                          Move back if your are not actually idle. The act of moving resets the idle timer so then you could be "idle" in a room another hour before it triggers being moved once again. Kind of like being at a parking meter; Stay too long, get towed.
                          Note that staff are not obligated to contact users before moving them. There is no animosity in the moving of members, it's just a matter of course.
                          Greetings from Dale
                          Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                          Working...
                          X