No announcement yet.

No Voice on LAN Session

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Voice on LAN Session

My 8 year old son is fascinated by MS Flight Sim X and I got a copy for both of us so we could do multiplayer across our LAN. I've got everything set up and it all seems to work well, but I cannot get voice to work.

We both have Logitech headsets (not USB) with mikes, and I've confirmed that they are the default sound and voice devices and that they work. I've checked off "enable Voice" in the multiplayer setup, but when we both get into the session, we see each other and can fly -- and get in-game sound -- but we cannot talk to each other.

Does anyone have a good tutorial for setting up multiplayer or have any suggestions?

We are both on Windows 7 x86_64 and using MS Flight Simulator X with the Acceleration Pack.

Thanks,

George

Yes, I have a suggestion.

You might try using your own teamspeak server/client software. It's all free and works good. You could also use the msFlights teamspeak and fsx servers. They have different rooms to use if you want some one on one time. One advantage of TS is that you don't lose voice when FSX crashes or is being restarted.

I believe you can have two clients with just one I.P. address. Others may have more info on that.

Marty Kovar

Comment

Originally posted by ggalt View Post
      My 8 year old son is fascinated by MS Flight Sim X and I got a copy for both of us so we could do multiplayer across our LAN. I've got everything set up and it all seems to work well, but I cannot get voice to work.

We both have Logitech headsets (not USB) with mikes, and I've confirmed that they are the default sound and voice devices and that they work. I've checked off "enable Voice" in the multiplayer setup, but when we both get into the session, we see each other and can fly -- and get in-game sound -- but we cannot talk to each other.

Does anyone have a good tutorial for setting up multiplayer or have any suggestions?

We are both on Windows 7 x86_64 and using MS Flight Simulator X with the Acceleration Pack.

Thanks,

George
      Hi George,

Playing FSX in multiplayer requires a server or host computer to run a multiplayer session. Here at msFlights.net we connect directly to an external server hosted at 71.231.12.143, the IP address. This allows people from all over the world to play FSX together. Teamspeak VOIP client software is used for voice communications since it is better than that provided natively by FSX.

If this is what you are looking help for, then it should rather easy to assist you. However, if you mean to use FSX locally inside your home LAN, and use FSX in-game voice communication between only two computers, then it may be a little more difficult. One of your home computers must act as a multiplayer server.

This is one area I do not have enough skill or the experience needed to help you. There are others here who know much more about this subject, but getting their help by only using only forum posts could prove somewhat inefficient. I would suggest a better and more effective way of helping you is by installing and using the Teamspeak client software, and then talking with the people who know more about this problem.

-Coast

PS: You may want to do an internet search to find out how to setup a home FSX server.
      "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Originally posted by ggalt View Post

Thanks,

George
        Hi George,

Playing FSX in multiplayer requires a server or host computer to run a multiplayer session. Here at msFlights.net we connect directly to an external server hosted at 71.231.12.143, the IP address. This allows people from all over the world to play FSX together. Teamspeak VOIP client software is used for voice communications since it is better than that provided natively by FSX.

If this is what you are looking help for, then it should rather easy to assist you. However, if you mean to use FSX locally inside your home LAN, and use FSX in-game voice communication between only two computers, then it may be a little more difficult. One of your home computers must act as a multiplayer server.

This is one area I do not have enough skill or the experience needed to help you. There are others here who know much more about this subject, but getting their help by only using only forum posts could prove somewhat inefficient. I would suggest a better and more effective way of helping you is by installing and using the Teamspeak client software, and then talking with the people who know more about this problem.

-Coast

PS: You may want to do an internet search to find out how to setup a home FSX server.
        "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Hello, George and son. I administer our FSX host server here at IP 71.231.12.143. All the advice and tips you read above are correct. I advise you and your son to connect your FSX multiplayer computers to OUR IP, join our session WITHOUT voice in-game and then connect to our TeamSpeak. That way our expert staff can assist you to more specifically tailor your FSX multiplayer configuration to your own needs (by talking to you on our TeamSpeak server). If I don't read of your acknowledgement here in your post's thread of reading our advice and of your intentions by tonight west coast time, I'll send your registration email a note encouraging you to look here in this thread.

As was stated above, you and your son can join your own private TeamSpeak subchannel on our TeamSpeak server in order to converse privately.
          Respects, Bob ...

Comment

While we definitely would love to have you join us, I thought I'd also mention what I know about in game voice.

First off the "server" must allow it. We do not enable the functionality on our server. Over just a LAN is should be fine, but over the internet causes problems. As you go through the options to host the session, one of the boxes is all about voice communication. There are 2 options, always activated, or only using radios. If you do the second both planes must have their radios tuned to the same frequency. Caps Lock is the default key for push to talk.

But honestly, just joining the server and Teamspeak are easier.
            - Michael
            Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

I think the problem you have in the initial configuration on both computers. As my English is very limited, I attached a few images that can help you. Although my FSX is in Spanish, the screens are the same as in English, it only changes the text.

You should check the network settings on both computers (client and server). To do this, follow these two steps:

The value of compression (kbps) can put it high (128.000 kbps) for better sound quality if they are few equipment and your internal network is fast.

On the server, you must configure the session following these steps:

In this screen you select how you want to operate communications:

Option A players are listening to each other regardless of the frequency in their active COM radios.
              Option B players must have the same active frequency in their COM radio to communicate.

Once the two computers are in session, you can test if you are listening by pressing and holding while they talk (PTT feature or push to talk) the combination keys [SHIFT+Caps Locks] for mode communication for all players function regardless of whether you chose to configure it in the option A or B.
              [SIZE=2][COLOR="#0000FF"]I am responsible [B]for what I say[/B], but not for [B]what you can interpret[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]...
              [I][B][SIZE=1]Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri[/SIZE][SIZE=4]???[/SIZE][/B][/I]

Comment

I have this night sent OP George an email at his forum registration email address encouraging George to review the answers posted here and contact us if further assistance is required. I had stated in my post # 5 here that I would send such an email to George if I didn't read his reply of acknowledgement here, which to date I have not. Thank you all, assisting posters here, for coming to the aid of a friend we have not yet met (my definition of a stranger). Such knowledgeable and timely technical advice continues to make me proud to be a msFLIGHTS.nut (term originally coined by D-1Y, Dave).
                Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X