No announcement yet.

Windows 8.1 Update (updating thread)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 Update (updating thread)

So what is the update process like to go from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, Its pretty seamless,
    - Download the update in the app store
    - Go make a sandwich or watch the progress bar move from 0 to 100. Its a 3.6GB file so it may take awhile depending on your connection. I would suggest if you are going to walk away, close all your applications down.
    - You computer will restart in 15 minutes after the update is downloaded and processed by the app store. This is if you want it or not
    - When you computer reboots it will install 8.1
    - re-sign-in and let the computer "setup the desktop"
    - Have fun with Windows 8.1 and the Start button. (I will cover the start button in another post)

What is the process like going from Windows 7 or 8.1 CP
    - Install Windows 7 or earlier version. If you have Windows 8 non-update version you can install 8 straight away.
    - Install Windows 8
    - Install all updates for windows 8 in the update manager (there should be about 70 of them)
    - reboot
    - Download the 8.1 update
    - Go make a sandwich or watch the progress bar move from 0 to 100. Its a 3.6GB file so it may take awhile depending on your connection. I would suggest if you are going to walk away, close all your applications down.
    - You computer will restart in 15 minutes after the update is downloaded and processed by the app store. This is if you want it or not
    - When you computer reboots it will install 8.1
    - re-sign-in and let the computer "setup the desktop"
    - Have fun with Windows 8.1 and the Start button. (I will cover the start button in another post)

Currently there are few issues you can run in to when updating. For example, the update does not like my AMD drivers on my desktop, I have an HD 5770. If you have a graphics driver issue and cant get windows 8.1 working properly, Windows 8.1 will roll its self back to Windows 8. My suggestion is if this happens, just do a refresh and keep your files in settings. Then install the update from a fresh no programs install of windows 8.

I will post pictures in a little while. Check back for updates.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Some screen shots of Windows 8.1

Last edited by Flyingdreamz; October 19, 2013, 03:49 AM.

thanks, I was wondering how hard it would be to upgrade to 8.1....can't wait to see the new changes. Now that the 8.1 disks are out I'm planning on picking up one for my desktop(around $100).

Also maybe you could answer this Dakoda, but I was reading that people are not suppose to buy the OEM versions of windows for personal use? The OEM versions are much cheaper then retail, but I heard that technically the OEM versions are only for third parties that build computers and sell them to others.

Not sure if this is true, but would I be breaching some kind of contract if I bought the OEM version for personal use?

Comment

I haven't been following OEM vs Retail with Win 8, but with Win 7 at first there was a huge uproar as they were only allowing it for system builders who then resell. They backed off being as strict on that, but when you buy the OEM version it is stuck with the hardware it's first installed to. So you can't upgrade your pc completely and move it over. Video card, hard drive, RAM... all ok... Mobo is the big one.
      - Michael
      Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
        thanks, I was wondering how hard it would be to upgrade to 8.1....can't wait to see the new changes. Now that the 8.1 disks are out I'm planning on picking up one for my desktop(around $100).

Also maybe you could answer this Dakoda, but I was reading that people are not suppose to buy the OEM versions of windows for personal use? The OEM versions are much cheaper then retail, but I heard that technically the OEM versions are only for third parties that build computers and sell them to others.

Not sure if this is true, but would I be breaching some kind of contract if I bought the OEM version for personal use?
        Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
        I haven't been following OEM vs Retail with Win 8, but with Win 7 at first there was a huge uproar as they were only allowing it for system builders who then resell. They backed off being as strict on that, but when you buy the OEM version it is stuck with the hardware it's first installed to. So you can't upgrade your pc completely and move it over. Video card, hard drive, RAM... all ok... Mobo is the big one.
        As far as I know you have to buy a hard drive, or a Mobo or something to prove you are building a system, I don't think you would be breaking any contract, I have had a number of friends do it in the past, I have never done it because I normally will install XP or 7 and then just do the upgrade.

Like Waterman I haven't really followed this all to well and I really am not up to date on the terms of agreement for windows.

Should work, just don't plan on sharing a copy with a second computer. If memory servers me right I cant take the OEM key that is on my desktop (from Compaq) and put it on any other machine if it dies.

Comment

graphics 8.1 fix

Originally posted by Flyingdreamz View Post

Currently there are few issues you can run in to when updating. For example, the update does not like my AMD drivers on my desktop, I have an HD 5770. If you have a graphics driver issue and cant get windows 8.1 working properly, Windows 8.1 will roll its self back to Windows 8. My suggestion is if this happens, just do a refresh and keep your files in settings. Then install the update from a fresh no programs install of windows 8.
          I had issues with my AMD drivers (some atiumdag.dll error), when I uninstalled the current version and rolled it back to a 13.4 catalyst it works just fine. Thank you hawg for pointing me in the correct direction. If anyone has problems let me know and ill post what I did to fix it step by step.
          Justin Johnson
          XJJohnsonX
          [email]XJJohnsonX@MSFlights.net[/email]

Any questions about the VA send me a message.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0045.png[/img]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by XJJohnsonX View Post
            I had issues with my AMD drivers (some atiumdag.dll error), when I uninstalled the current version and rolled it back to a 13.4 catalyst it works just fine. Thank you hawg for pointing me in the correct direction. If anyone has problems let me know and ill post what I did to fix it step by step.
            anyone knows fsx problem with windows 8.1
            it crashes all the time after i upgraded to windows 8.1

thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by mesho View Post
              anyone knows fsx problem with windows 8.1
              it crashes all the time after i upgraded to windows 8.1

thanks in advance
              Define crashing- Fatal Error, Stops responding, just simply goes away, or runtime error. If you don't remember seeing a notification, look in your event viewer for FSX.exe. I haven't had much of an issue (but I have had maybe all of 30 minutes to play in FSX over the last few days). I know Robert Dunn 2's Client FSX install is running fine (I think). And there a few other people who I have heard are having no issues with FSX.

So far most of the issues I am hearing about have been driver related, one of the big ones is AMD's driver not working (which is not the first time that's happened).

Comment

Originally posted by Flyingdreamz View Post
                Define crashing- Fatal Error, Stops responding, just simply goes away, or runtime error. If you don't remember seeing a notification, look in your event viewer for FSX.exe. I haven't had much of an issue (but I have had maybe all of 30 minutes to play in FSX over the last few days). I know Robert Dunn 2's Client FSX install is running fine (I think). And there a few other people who I have heard are having no issues with FSX.

So far most of the issues I am hearing about have been driver related, one of the big ones is AMD's driver not working (which is not the first time that's happened).
                hi flyingdreamz .thanks for your answer
                well what exactly happens is after i choose my plane and set a flight planner and click to start the flight .saddenly fsx crashes and it says no error was found
                so in the application error i got this
                Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
                Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
                Exception code: 0xc0000005
                Fault offset: 0x00000000
                Faulting process id: 0x350
                Faulting application start time: 0x01ceceaadb1fae05
                Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
                Faulting module path: unknown
                Report Id: 8abb6929-3a9e-11e3-bece-20689da0a040
                Faulting package full name:
                Faulting package-relative application ID:
                and have no idea what is going wrong .it was working just fine in windows 8 but after i got 8.1 it never worked

Comment

Originally posted by mesho View Post
                  hi flyingdreamz .thanks for your answer
                  well what exactly happens is after i choose my plane and set a flight planner and click to start the flight .saddenly fsx crashes and it says no error was found
                  so in the application error i got this
                  Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
                  Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
                  Exception code: 0xc0000005
                  Fault offset: 0x00000000
                  Faulting process id: 0x350
                  Faulting application start time: 0x01ceceaadb1fae05
                  Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
                  Faulting module path: unknown
                  Report Id: 8abb6929-3a9e-11e3-bece-20689da0a040
                  Faulting package full name:
                  Faulting package-relative application ID:
                  and have no idea what is going wrong .it was working just fine in windows 8 but after i got 8.1 it never worked
                  My suggestion is just to re-install FSX, it just so happens that Hawgdawg4life posted how he reloads FSX, it works quite well and its pretty easy to follow.

I was hoping that we would have an error code, or something to go off of, but 0xc0000005 means the program has attempted to access memory that it shouldn't. This is some what of a useless code because it could mean that FSX doesn't have the rights it needs all the way to you have a bad stick of memory.

Out of curiosity do you use page files?

Comment

I would recommend this first if you have a AMD graphics card. That wasn't much to go off of because the Faulting module name was unknown... If you can repeat it over till you get something there I could help you more.

Change AMD drivers to 13.4

1. Uninstall your amd drivers

• open up programs and features.
                    • click on amd catalyst
                    • click change
                    • uninstall

2. Download 13.4

find the previous drivers for your os (im running 8.1 but had to say my system was a 7 for the menu to come up, its in the top right hand corner of your screen and says Previous Drivers and Software

3. Install 13.4

4. Restart
                    Justin Johnson
                    XJJohnsonX

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by XJJohnsonX View Post
                      I would recommend this first if you have a AMD graphics card. That wasn't much to go off of because the Faulting module name was unknown... If you can repeat it over till you get something there I could help you more.

Change AMD drivers to 13.4

1. Uninstall your amd drivers
                      • open up programs and features.
                      • click on amd catalyst
                      • click change
                      • uninstall

2. Download 13.4

find the previous drivers for your os (im running 8.1 but had to say my system was a 7 for the menu to come up, its in the top right hand corner of your screen and says Previous Drivers and Software

3. Install 13.4

4. Restart
                      13.9 is the newest catalyst, and so far it has not crashed on me yet.

That's somewhat besides the point, I know in the past that code has come up for me not with driver issues, but with outlook, database stuff, and its normally because windows or the program forgot where some DLL file is in the Windows System32 folder.

If you do have to go the AMD uninstall route, don't use the uninstaller in the catalyst, use this its AMD uninstaller utility, it works a little better for some reason.

Comment

Thanks for this, Flyingdreamz. I'm sorry I haven't posted to here with my experiences. Thanks, JJohnson for the AMD GPU tip.

As you heard, my client FSX runs smooth after 8.1 update. Our FSX host most often failed to respond upon final "fly now" command when booting up an FSX host. That errant machine WOULD boot to host and be stable for several hours TWICE. I pulled all the disk drives, inserted my Windows 7 backup boot drive, preconfigured as FSX-FSOpen host and that is the FLIGHTS.net host we are running on now for 4 days. When I get the pilots to land and go to sleep some weeknight, I'll toggle the router ports forwarded over to the currently just fine client (called ASUS), invoke that to a Win8.1 FSX-FSOpen host and try Justin Johnson's AMD driver rollback on the currently extremely unstable BigBox Win8.1 FSX-FSOpen install. If all fails, I have an ISO backup of the C: drive when it was a working Win8.0, before 8.1 update that I will reinstall. We have run on that ISO image successfully for half a year.
                        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Window 8.1 running fine for several days now. Only had to uninstall and reinstall a few devices to get 8.1 running. I have not done any port forwarding or tweaking to fsx yet.
                          [COLOR="#008000"]Josh
                          CW4 US Army Retired [/COLOR]:)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I used the AMD cleanup utility, which completely removed all traces of AMD graphics drivers from my system. It's a very sweet utility.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...l-utility.aspx

So run that, reboot, install 13.4, reboot.
                            - Michael
                            Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

10-4
                              Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
                              I used the AMD cleanup utility, which completely removed all traces of AMD graphics drivers from my system. It's a very sweet utility.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...l-utility.aspx

So run that, reboot, install 13.4, reboot.
                              Justin Johnson
                              XJJohnsonX

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X