*Warning* Windows 8.1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Warning* Windows 8.1

Just wanted to make a quick post. I installed Windows 8.1 and unfortunately FSX will only run without the service pack 2. Once you install SP2 or acceleration it crashed due to a KERNEL32.dll error which quickly leads to your explorer crashing when you open FSX due to a ntdll.dll error. This may just be a bug as this is the Evaluation version. 8.1 is set to release on October 18th. Ill post here if I find a fix as I plan on keeping 8.1 preview for a bit to test it out or when the full build comes out if it works then Ill update here.
    Yes
    36.36%
    No
    9.09%
    Dont have Windows 8
    54.55%
    Justin Johnson
    XJJohnsonX
    [email]XJJohnsonX@MSFlights.net[/email]

Any questions about the VA send me a message.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0045.png[/img]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by XJJohnsonX View Post
    Just wanted to make a quick post. I installed Windows 8.1 and unfortunately FSX will only run without the service pack 2. Once you install SP2 or acceleration it crashed due to a KERNEL32.dll error which quickly leads to your explorer crashing when you open FSX due to a ntdll.dll error. This may just be a bug as this is the Evaluation version. 8.1 is set to release on October 18th. Ill post here if I find a fix as I plan on keeping 8.1 preview for a bit to test it out or when the full build comes out if it works then Ill update here.
    You are correct Windows 8.1.9431 does not work with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, this is in part because of DirectX 9 not being compatible with the builds Kernel32.dll. This has been fixed in the final version (release build). I just tested that this morning after upgrading to 8.1 RTM. At the moment only MSDN and Dreamspark Premium subscribers can acquire Windows 8.1 RTM.

Comment

I was planning on buying a OEM 8.1 disk when it comes out on October 18t(usually about $100).

I was a big skeptic of windows 8 when it came out, and was very hesitant to try it after all the bad things I heard. I ended up being forced to try it since the laptop I wanted/purchased came with windows 8.

It was rather weird and cumbersome at first, but after I had used it for a while I started to really like it. I even found that I can navigate around it much quicker then Windows 7.

There were a lot of complaints about there not being a start button/menu, but the "start" screen with all the tiles is the start menu. I really like how you can completely customize your start screen with shortcuts to your favorite programs/apps, and categorize them into easily identifiable columns.

To enjoy Windows 8 you really need to learn "little tricks" on how to navigate around it, which Microsoft did a pretty poor job of showing new users. Some things that took me a while to figure out were....that you can right click in the bottom left corner of the desktop to navigate pretty much anywhere in windows. Another neat thing I learned was how to close apps. Most apps will continue to run in the background, and there was not a clear way on how to close these apps. It took me a while to figure out that while in a app you can just click and drag the top of the app and drag it to the bottom of the screen to close it. It's little things like this that I think Microsoft should of had tool tips for.

All in all, after some time spent with Windows 8 began to really like it and am looking forward to its 8.1 OEM release on October 18th. I'm willing to bet that this version will make windows 8 much more user friendly for new users.

Comment

Windows 8.1 will be free to upgrade from any current windows 8 running machine and any windows 8 non-running product key.

Comment

yea I was planning on getting it for my desktop.....I wanted to wait for the 8.1 disks so I wouldn't have to upgrade from 8.0

Comment

makes sense.

Comment

Thats good to hear. Do you know of any fixes for the preview build? so fave ive been impressed
              Justin Johnson
              XJJohnsonX
              [email]XJJohnsonX@MSFlights.net[/email]

Any questions about the VA send me a message.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0045.png[/img]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by XJJohnsonX View Post
                Thats good to hear. Do you know of any fixes for the preview build? so fave ive been impressed
                nothing really major, lot of the UI stuff was finalized in the CP but there was alot of kernel work done to make windows/phone 8 more of a seamless transition application wise. RT got a boat load of fixes and updates though.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X