Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATC on the MSFlights SimLink servers

This guide is for those that want to act as Air Traffic Control on the SimLink servers.
    Anybody only wanting to fly on the servers should ignore this post and follow the instructions here.

Pick the program you would like to use and find the relevant instructions below.
    Euroscope is very complex and VRC or ASRC is recommended for first time ATC on Simlink.

Programs that can be used to control on the MSF SimLink servers include...

Pro Controller
    A very old radar client which requires no simulator or Proxy running.
    Just start it up and control.
    ASRC
    Again and older radar client.
    ASRC needs the MSFlights Proxy running, but no simulator is needed to be open.
    VRC
    Similar to ASRC although newer, VRC needs the MSFlights Proxy running but no simulator is needed.
    Euroscope Download
    A Complex Radar client thats not recommeneded for new ATC.
    No simulator or proxy is needed to run, just start it up and connect.
    FSC Download
    A Moving Map that runs with and needs FSX running connected to the SimLink network in the background.
    FSTRAMP Download
    Similar to FSC needs Flight Sim running and Flight sim must be connected the SimLink network.
    AWOS Download
    A Wind Dial for added realism if you want it.

**How to connect with the moving maps**
    If you like to use FSTRAMP or FSCommander you will need to connect to the SimLink server as you would if you were a pilot.

Follow the instructions in
    this post but before clicking connect select OBSERVER.
    By selecting OBSERVER the pilots you are controlling will not see a substituted aircraft for you hovering over the control tower.
    You will also show to any controllers using Euroscope or VRC so they will know that you are open.

ATC Vpilot settings as below...
    Callsign = the airport you are at (ie KLAX or EGCC)
    Aircraft type = ATC.
    Click Connect as OBSERVER

If you want to specify whether you're a TWR or GND etc then you can copy and paste a callsign into Vpilot, (ie KLAX_APP )as Vpilot won't let you type in a _ manually.

**How to connect with Pro Controller**

Procontroller comes with sector files for Europe and US so no need to hunt for them.
    Although due to it's age, newer sector files may not work with Pro Controller.

1.Download and extract
    Pro Controller to a location of your choice.

In the folder you extracted double click the PC icon which will start Pro Controller.
    3.Open a sector file by clicking File and open.
    Sector files are located in the folder you extracted in a folder called errrr.... Sector files.

4.Now you have a sector file loaded you can center the radar view by Right clicking on the radar and selecting Center on..
    5.Once your happy with your view you can connect.

To connect click file and Connect.

Fill in the details and click OK.

You may get the error below but don't worry as long as you see the server message you can ignore it.

You will be able to change settings colours of the aircraft etc in the options menu.

You will also be able to send and recieve handovers from Euroscope controllers.

**How to connect with ASRC**

With ASRC there is no need to open up your flight sim unless you want to see the aircaft out of your tower window, which you can do by connecting your sim as a pilot with Vpilot following the Moving map instructions above.

1.Download and Install ASRC.

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRC (or where ever you have installed it) and create a .txt file called ipaddr.txt

3.Put the following text inside the new text file
    localhost MSFlights
    and click save.
    This adds an extra server to the list once you open ASRC.

4.Start the
    MSFlights proxy client and click file and then settings.
    Set Server URL to which ever server is closest to you and click OK.
    Start Proxy and minimise it.
    UK Server = roo.servebeer.com
    US Server = 23.255.202.27

5.Start ASRC and select MSFlights as the server to connect too from the drop down list.
    Certificate ID: MSFATC
    Password: MSFATC
    You may need to copy and past the CID and Password.
    Any rating up to and including Controller 2.

**How to connect with VRC**

With VRC there is no need to open up your flight sim unless you want to see the aircaft out of your tower window, which you can do by connecting your sim as a pilot with Vpilot by following the Moving map instructions above.

Download and install VRC.

2. Navigate to C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\VRC and create a .txt file called
    myservers.txt

3.Put the following text inside the new text file
    localhost MSFlights
    and click save.
    This adds an extra server to the list once you open VRC.

4.Install the MSFlights proxy client and click file and then settings.
    Set Server URL to which ever server is closest to you and click OK.
    Start the Proxy and minimise it.
    UK Server = roo.servebeer.com
    US Server = 23.255.202.27

5.Start VRC and select MSFlights as the server to connect too from the drop down list.
    Certificate ID: MSFATC
    You may need to copy and past the CID and Password.
    Any rating up to and including Controller 2.

You will connect as an observer with both ASRC and VRC so you won't be able to accept handoffs from Euroscope controllers, but VRC is a lot easier to use than Eurocope.
    You can get weather displayed in ASRC and VRC by pressing F2 and typing in the ICAO of the airport.

**A very quick how to for Euroscope**

If your interested in ATC I recommend using Euroscope although the moving maps and other clients also have their advantages.

**Euroscope**
    Takes a while to get you head around everything (I still haven't) but once it's setup it's great.
    The best tutorial I have found is
    here and recommend that everybody who wants to use Euroscope follow those instructions to get going.

But basically you google and download a .sct (sector) file for the area you want to control and connect directly to the SimLink server with no need to open a flight sim or proxy client.

**First thing to do**
    Once Euroscope is installed start it up and Navigate to Other Set/General Settings/Page 2.
    Where it says VATSIM status URL input
    http://roo.servebeer.com/whazzup/status.txt as in the picture below.

Only the Status address needs to be changed and once restarted the who is online URL will be updated automaically.

Close Euroscope and you will get the message asking you if you want to save.
    Click Save.

Once Euroscope has closed navigate to C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\ and delete all IP addresses in the files
    ipaddr_local and ipaddr
    Why do this?
    If we were to leave the IPs in there Euroscope will read them on startup and won't show the new list of servers from MSFlights.

Start Euroscope again.
    This time we'll connect to the FSD server.
    Click Connect (top left).
    On the connection screen enter the following info:
    Select Connection Mode: = Direct to VATSIM
    Callsign: ICAO_TWR ICAO = the four letter identifier of the airport KLAX, EHAM, EGLL, YSSY etc etc.
    The three letters after the _ can be either GND(Ground), TWR(Tower), CTR(Center), DEL(Clearance/Delivery), APP(Approach), DEP(Departure) or OBS(Observer).
    OBS means your watching but won't show as an active ATC, so won't be able to be passed aircraft from other controllers.
    Realname: ATC_ROO The name everybody knows you as.
    Certificate: MSFATC
    Log Off Time:
    The time you expect to finish in Zulu

Facility:
    Select from the drop down list where you'll be controlling
    Rating:
    You can select anything up to and including Senior Controller (CTR2)
    Server: Select from the drop down list as in the picture below.

If you didn't add the addresses as above the MSF servers will not show.
    You can click into the box and type them manually if you want too.
    UK SERVER = roo.serverbeer.com
    US SERVER = 23.255.202.27

Untick the Vatsim tickbox.
    Info Lines.

What ever you write in info lines 1, 2 and 3 will show to pilots in or around your airspace.
    Range is how far you want traffic to show on your scope.

**Comms**
    Once connected you will be shown the Comms screen.
    Comms are not used through the FSD server and we still use Teamspeak 3 for the comms, but pilots will still be able to contact you by text message if they tune their aircraft radio to your frequency.
    So it's a good idea to set one up and tick the 2 txt boxes.

**Load a sector file**
    Click SET and load the sector file you downloaded.
    Use your mouse to scroll in and right click to move until your centered over the Airfield you want to control.
    In SCT again click save to save the view (something like EGCC_APP).
    Now zoom all the way in until you see the taxiway.
    Again click save this time as something like EGCC_GND.

In SCT select new radar view and select the first view you saved.

You can now toggle between the 2 views by pressing F7.
    Handy for ground and radar.
    Select a different sector file and airport and again save the views you like.
    That way you can easily load up the airports you want to control selecting new radar view.

**Euroscope Settings**

The Matias file below can be used to setup Euroscope quicker.

MSF Euroscope Matias Download (Right click Save Link as)
    (Used to get up and running quickly with Euroscope).

1. Move the file to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\EuroScope\Settings

2. In Euroscope select Other SET on the toolbar at the top and select Settings files setup.
    Change the File name of all the settings types to point to the new matias file you have downloaded.

3. Restart Euroscope and save everything when asked.
    This will save everything for next time.

4.Open Euroscope again and select Other SET/Display.
    Configure the display settings you'd like.
    I have STBY unticked as then it won't show aircraft that I havn't assumed and that clears up the radar screen.

History dots, above and below should be self explanitory.
    Change TAG Family to ATC_ROO which should now be there after adding the Mattias settings file.

If you set Radar as Simulation mode and zoom in so you have a view of 40nm or so you can Open SCT and save as ICAO_RDR (where ICAO is the code for the airport you have set).

If you then zoom your radar all the way in so you can see the ground, and select Easy Ground in Other SET/display/ Simulation mode you can save that as ICAO_GND.

Pressing F7 will cycle between the 2 displays so you have quick access to a radar and ground view.

You can do this at any airport using any .sct file you have so you can setup quick views for the airfields you like to control.

The majority of sector files show airports with no taxiways, although many have been created with detailed taxiways and local VRP's for pilots (usually called controller packs) so you'll have to hunt for them on google.

**Flight Plans**
    Pilots have the ability to send flight plans to the server using thier pilot client.
    While the moving maps can't see these Euroscope VRC and ASRC can.
    If you are open at either thier departure, destination or a center on route that they'll fly through, you will get a copy of thier flight plan and they will get a message in their client that you are open as they near your airspace.

Please don't go chasing pilots shouting "your in my airspace you NEED to contact me blah blah blah".
    or say that every pilot MUST file a plan.
    THEY DON'T!

Not everybody wants ATC on the server and there maybe somebody who flies into your airport or through your airspace without knowing your open.

**AWOS**

No Idea what it stands for but I'm going to guess at Automatic Wind Observation Station?

Basically if your using a Moving Map or Euroscope you don't have the wind to give to pilots on approach.

The AWOS is a weather station very similar to ones found in Air Traffic Control Towers.
    It provides real world weather and is really easy to install and use, I have mine setup as below.

**Why bother controlling on SimLink?**

It's more realistic and you'll be able to control more traffic including Xplane and FS9 pilots.
    I'm not saying don't control on the other servers setup, but because ALL SIMULATORS CAN CONNECT TO THIS TYPE OF SERVER it means that MSFlights controllers are likely to get more traffic.

If you setup on just the one platform (example FSX boxed) you'll only be able to control Boxed users.

**Extra Info**
    I have posted download links for all software mentioned in this post below.
    I have also included my Euroscope setting files (The mattias file), which I configured to be very similar to that of a real world radar view for those that would like to use it.

The file adds the following....
    A pilot Identing will show a circle around the aircraft.
    If the pilot does not have MODE C turned on you will not see any Mode C info, just an + on the screen from the Primary radar.
    The Callsign/Squawk of an aircraft which is on a flight plan to your airport will show as Orange.
    The Callsign/Squawk of an aircraft which has flight planned a departure from your airport will show as Blue.
    All aircarft will show as a Squwak unless you LEFT Click their squawk and select assume, this will then show thier callsign (similar to code callsigning).
    Left clicking the aircraft destination when you hover over the tag will open up thier flight plan.
    Right clicking their destination will show their route and waypoints on your screen.

Any SimLink ATC problems please let me know here in this thread.

Pro Controller

ASRC Download

VRC Download

Euroscope Download

MSF Euroscope Matias Download (Right click Save Link as)

FSC Download

FSTRAMP Download

AWOS Download
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/8/5

Small control tower very simple but indispensable for flights networks.
    360 ° view, can speed up or slow down time, radar view, choice of four towers of different heights, ATC control panel. The tower can be moved with the key "Y".
    You will find this add-on under the manufacturer: "Control Tower Rikoooo" in the aircraft list of FSX/P3D.
    [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0292.png[/img]

Comment

Nice find blaze.

Comment

It would be nice to get some feedback from Controllers using any of the above software.
        If you find a problem and let me know I can try and find a solution.

Remember if you control using FSTRAMP or FSC on one of the MSFLIGHTS servers.
        You can also connect Vpilot to the FSD and see extra traffic.

Comment

i read the stuff above but its confusing as hell to me im not a fsx and pc geneous so i have no clue how this all works i just want to play with people on fsx steam edition

Comment

I realise the above is very confusing and I'm working to put together something a little simpler shortly.

If you don't want to be ATC, and just want to fly on the server the post on how pilots can connect is here.

Comment

Originally posted by travisjames 2000 View Post
              i read the stuff above but its confusing as hell to me im not a fsx and pc geneous so i have no clue how this all works i just want to play with people on fsx steam edition

Probably lost on you through the lengthy & detailed description was Roo's stated purpose of the post. "Programs that can be used to control on the MSF FSD server include..." The word "control" in the sentence refers to acting as a virtual air traffic controller.

As you desire to act as a virtual pilot, the post has little meaning for you. Flight simulation can be quite easy or very complex. Its very flexible in that regard.

Comment

my question is is there some type traning for people who might want to be atc but at the moment dont know how to or is it a try and see if u dont have big crash

Comment

There is no training on the various clients planned Chevell.

I don't have time to control my self at the moment...... 😕

There is lots of information on Google and obviously support here on the MSFlights forums.

Which bit are you having problems with?

That said if there are enough people that want to learn how to use one of the clients above, I'm sure something could be arranged by one of us to show you how.

If it's general ATC training your looking for then please contact one of the ATC Admin from this post and we'll try and put a session together.

Comment

The information above has now been updated.
                    There are currently 4 radar clients and 2 moving maps allowing you to control on the FSD server.

That means you will be able to provide an Air Traffic Service to users of FSX boxed, Steam, P3D, FS9, Xplane and possibly FlightGear.
                    FS2000 may also be supported although it's been a while since I've seen anybody use that.

Because of the number of different simulators that you can now control I expect to see more pilots looking for ATC.

MSFLIGHTS needs some new controllers in order to accommodate these pilots.

Please do start up a client and start controlling if you fancy giving it a go.

I have seen people connect with some of the above so please post any problems you have and on the flip side which is your favourite client.

People reading this will then be able to find help or have an idea as to which client they should use.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X