Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server maintenance

I'm sorry to say that my server will be down for a time whilst I investigate an issue.

She's been shutting down unexpectedly over the last few days which means I'll have to find time to investigate.

I think it maybe hardware related after recent power cuts.

I'll post when she's back.
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Roo, do I understand we cannot therefore use SimLink for any group flight until you've fixed it (as, from my understanding, all other SimLink servers rely on yours being active)? I ask because we have three such group flights planned this week that are due to use SimLink (to allow X-Plane participation).

Comment

No need to worry Storm.
      I setup each Simlink node to act as a part of a network or independently.

I did this for redundancy and if an issue occurred such as this.

The only things that won't work will be the Simlink map (as it takes it's feed from my node) and real world weather, which Vpilot doesn't use anyway so don't think anybody uses it.

The other nodes will work fine and still talk to each other.

I like redundancy.

Comment

Hi Roo
        "I setup each Simlink node to act as a part of a network or independently."
        Have you made that adjustment recently?
        Last time we had a flight and your server was down, SimLink turn unusable as everybody would disappear and reappear every 20 seconds to 1minute,
        We try putting everybody on one server and nothing changed it really was not quite usable.
        It seems like it requires your server for continuous connection.

For me indication that something is different is a message in Vpilot;
        "[19:43:57] Server list download failed. Using previously-cached server list."
        I've never seen this one before and it seems to appear when your server is down.
        best
        mike
        mike404

Comment

Quick follow-up
          I just tested with three people on FSX platform,only worked when we were all on one server,
          When one of us switched to a different server, the disappearing act started every ~ 20 sec.
          Xplain has not been tested.
          mike404

Comment

Originally posted by N404 View Post
            Hi Roo
            "I setup each Simlink node to act as a part of a network or independently."
            Have you made that adjustment recently?
            Last time we had a flight and your server was down, SimLink turn unusable as everybody would disappear and reappear every 20 seconds to 1minute,
            We try putting everybody on one server and nothing changed it really was not quite usable.
            It seems like it requires your server for continuous connection.
            Nope it's always been that way.

If your getting disconnection issues then there is a problem with the Node/Server you are connecting too.
            Which one was it?

Each node is an independent server.
            They can be setup to receive data from other servers and then send that data to the clients connected to them.

If another server is down it just wont receive the extra data, but will still send it's own data to each client connected.

Originally posted by N404 View Post
            For me indication that something is different is a message in Vpilot;
            "[19:43:57] Server list download failed. Using previously-cached server list."
            I've never seen this one before and it seems to appear when your server is down.
            best
            mike
            Did you change the vpilot config file when a fix for no proxy was found?

If you did then the change read a file on my web server for the list of IPs, so that makes sense.

But because you've already read the list when my web server was up, you've cached it locally so it can be read when my Web server can not be contacted.

Redundancy!

Comment

Reading the above again, it does sound like one of the other servers is using a different port to the other, has changed IP or may have a port /firewall issue.

That would explain why everything worked when the 3rd server was online (mine).

They both passed their data to me and I passed it back to them.

If any of that makes sense?

Comment

Thank you Roo
                I have completely reinstalled Vpilot and I'm not getting the message which means there was some residual from experimenting before.
                I will test it again and let you know but hopefully that's the fix.
                Is it possible that I was dragging everybody down by having that in my config ?
                TH
                HL
                mike404

Comment

It's unlikely your Vpilot affected everybody else.
                  I'll try and have a look at the server configs shortly.

Glad it's fixed.

Comment

My server is back online.
                    Although I am keeping an eye on it as it's showing signs of a hdd fault.

If the 2 other Simlink hosts pm me their team viewer details, I'll have a look at the config and see why they're not talking.

Comment

TH Roo
                      mike404

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X