p3d and fsx

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p3d and fsx

I heard at one point someone was trying to have both p3d and fsx in one server. Looking at old posts they say at the time it isnt compatible. Is there any update on this? Is it impossible or is it something that is in the works.
    Justin Johnson
    XJJohnsonX
    [email]XJJohnsonX@MSFlights.net[/email]

Any questions about the VA send me a message.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0045.png[/img]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

FSX and P3Dv2 work well together in a multiplayer session by using FSHost.

Have tested it and can assure the group that this WORKS !!

Comment

Hey Robert have you heard of this? I belive there website is http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/ maybe worth a shot to look into. Thanks bob for the heads up. Have you tested it out on your own pc?
      Originally posted by BG2518 Bob View Post
      FSX and P3Dv2 work well together in a multiplayer session by using FSHost.

Have tested it and can assure the group that this WORKS !!
      Justin Johnson
      XJJohnsonX

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I used to refer to this FSX-P3Dv2 ability to see one another's aircraft as "concurrency". I am confident that it could work. I know other communities that run FSHost with P3D version 1.4 and several Microsoft Flight Simulators (ten, 2004 and 2002). Of course it does require those who wish for client side concurrency to install client FSHost and run either their P3Dv2 or their FSX (or 2004 or 2002) in single player mode and let the FSHost client exchange aircraft situational packet information. Mainly for this required third party client software requirement but also because of a lack of interest, I dropped my evangelism for concurrency. I still run the P3Dv2 multi host but it is very sparsely attended. I'll be more than happy to take up this project again IF there is a grass roots interest in such pursuit. It would be a sizable endeavor on several levels and their are unsolvable bugs still inherent (I hear). One is ATC. You may occasionally see a controller in our General Purpose Room 7, gamertag ATC-Roo. He runs TBFSS (The Big Flight Simulator Site). He runs this FSHost setup, not with Prepar3D version 2 but with version 1.4. So do several other communities as listed on the FSHost sessions site. I have communicated with him and Roo is more than willing to advise and help if we decided to try concurrency. The most relevant and public of our correspondence can be found here:

http://tbfss.co.uk/index.php?option=...php&f=1&t=1638

You pilots familiar with our P3Dv2 hosting efforts know that I run the only public 24/7 P3Dv2 training and developmental host server out of IP 71.231.12.143. This P3Dv2 host is operated under the msFLIGHTS.net brand and listed (at the bottom) on the FSOpen sessions page. With an interruption in service for 2 weeks in the latter half of December, this P3Dv2 multi host has been on line since the day P3Dv2 was released 28 November. I am personally a fanboy of P3Dv2 and I have made considerable client side investment in hardware to reap P3Dv2's architectural benefits (more optimal modern computer hardware utilization). My MAIN fear in presenting this P3Dv2 host was a perceived potental to isolate the FSX pilots who did not have the computer, interest or sixty US bucks from those who did pursue P3Dv2 multi. I will post more (and there is MUCH more) on this as your collective interest and questions may dictate. Immediately, I await a substantial bug fix release of P3Dv2 (version 2.05) from Lockheed Martin and possibly the first complete service pack (version 2.1) before I discuss with you all your desires for our community multiplayer hosting architecture. It is complex on the technical, social and political levels. In the end, tho, you FLIGHTS.net members will decide what direction we pursue.
        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

I would fly my fsx instance in the P3D server if I had the opportunity. I would like all of us to migrate there, whether in P3D or FSX. I don't much care. Just that we are all flying together.
          An interesting thought; Single player lets you change aircraft while in-game. I wonder if it would in this arrangement.

Personally, I think it is inevitable that FSX be replaced by P3D. The time is not here to fully realize that, I know. But this would be a great first step towards that goal.
          Greetings from Dale
          Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Sound, JJohnson, Bob...I will personally commit hardware and administrative resources to P3Dv2. Kalo's vision and dispatch is the main reason we are implementing our main host server to P3Dv2 multiplayer duties and that Mulder server (primarily) and Henderson server (being refurbished currently) have taken on FSX multi hosting duties. (Thank you again, Mulder and Blizzard.) That road will be long and complex in ways that have nothing to do with ChocolateSoftware's FSHost capabilities. Debates will be argued. Tears will be shed. I continue to believe that Lockheed's effort is our current best hope for our multiplayer flight simulation's future. If a sizable number of pilots are interested in this evolution, I believe that such concurrency is a very necessary interim step for several/many reasons I have documented here and elsewhere. I have faith that concurrency can be done but I am unsure at what price. Initially, I encourage those of you with P3Dv2 running on your machine to attempt to fly together occasionally on our P3Dv2 host at IP 71.231.12.143. Do we need to wait for a Lockheed bug fix for the platform to actually work? I personally have had to pursue a complicated Windows registry edit to get my controllers to stay connected (or even appear in controls settings for initial programming assignments). I run Win8.1 P3Dv2 client. Win7 does not seem to suffer this FCS disconnect nearly so dramatically. I have not devoted the time to exploring what it would take to implement FSHost along side our current separate FSX and P3Dv2 traditional multiplayer platform configuration. I do believe that the only way the critical mass of interested pilots will amass is to centralize all of the simming world on a single (or at least a small number) of concurrent host configurations. That cross community centralization will present challenges of it's own.

I am very open and personally interested in exploring concurrency. We already have a dedicated P3Dv2 host up 24/7. I do encourage expression of opposing and/or questioning viewpoints to come forward. Those arguments against are valid and very defendable. What do you all think (at length, please)?
            Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2 View Post
              I am very open and personally interested in exploring concurrency. We already have a dedicated P3Dv2 host up 24/7. I do encourage expression of opposing and/or questioning viewpoints to come forward. Those arguments against are valid and very defendable. What do you all think (at length, please)?
              I would be very open to testing FShosts concurrency with our own efforts; however, I still don't see P3DV2 or v1.4 for that matter a big player in multiplayer. I think we should be prepared for it when the day does come. Although by the time that does come, this might be a whole different playing ground.

Comment

I would so be willing to start using the p3d server with FShost's software. I will try to educate myself this week by downloading the connection software and trying it out. I may have questions for you, Bob.
                Greetings from Dale
                Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

I personally believe that the time for P3D isn't here just yet. But give it a year or so for the developers to jump on board and I think we will have a small group and eventually the exponential growth like FSX. But we should still be ready and the first step is with our 24/7 server. I also think that in this early development stage is when we need to show how much interest there is with P3D and multiplier. If we get it so you can fly in P3D with people in FSX I think that would be a major start. I would love to fly around with people in FSX while still getting my boost in performance.

Is there any interest with P3D with our fellow pilots at other communities?
                  Can you run FSHost with our current setup as just a add-on if you want it?
                  Justin Johnson
                  XJJohnsonX

Comment

The only thing with FSHost is you need client side software and if you are the host then there are port forwarding problems if you want to run the FSHost on one PC(Server) and fly on a 2nd PC.
                    Oz Flyer.
                    David.
                    VA Operations Manager.
                    SPAD.neXt Beta tester.
                    FIPGauges.com Beta tester.

Got a question about the Virtual Airline? Please post in the VA forum or send me a private message.

Comment

Ok, sorry chaps for not responding earlier.

Not being as verbose as Robert, the bottom line IS.....

DON'T TRY TO GET FSHOST going with the aim of having a happy community of BOTH FSX and P3Dv2 multiplayer flyers.

Why?

Well, not least, you will have to put up with various individual issues of ports, that if not set correctly can and WILL stop other flyers even getting into a session. I could name a few other issues but I won't.

Basically, yes it does work BUT the software designer hasn't managed to make it fully compatible and so you'll end up with NOT being able to see other players labels etc and the list can go on.

Robert is right - WAIT until P3D v2.1 (at least) and encourage LM and 3rd party developers to properly solve the FSX/P3D combo flying experience.

Of course if you have a small closed group of say up to half a dozen who want to "play" with FSHost FSX/P3D then by all means do so to see that what I'm saying is true.

Been doing this for about a week now with AspireFSX members and one is at the point of slitting his throat, lol.

Oh, and no matter what I do MY server won't show up for ANYONE in FSHost Spy BUT it works.

See what I mean?

But hey, I manage to laugh it all off because flying (when I can get away from the tech issues) is FUN and I don't get flustered as all of this IS part of the hobby for me.

Cheers all and HAPPY flying.

Comment

Originally posted by BG2518 Bob View Post

Oh, and no matter what I do MY server won't show up for ANYONE in FSHost Spy BUT it works.
                        Just thought I'd add to this quickly.

Your server may not show in FSHost SPY to yourself as your router may not support NAT Loopback, meaning you can't see your internal network from outside.

The router I'm using at the moment doesn't support NAT Loopback and so I don't see my FS Host server in FS Host Spy, but I do see people joining it and believe that is where they found the ip for it.

Ports:
                        The only port the client should need is the one the host sets on the FS Host server "session" screen which by default is 23456.
                        Most of the time the client should not need to configure anything in their router as FSX also uses port 23456 and routers supporting upnp should allow access to it when it is called for without the need to forward the port.

The server will need both the above port and which ever port is setup in the "Remote Access tab" default port 80.

If your not sure your ports are forwarded correctly then http://canyouseeme.org is a helpful tool.

I'm running FSHost and FSX servers and can connect to both through my internal LAN just by opening up either the FSHost client or FSX.
                        I have not configured and port forwarding client side.
                        The only difference you have when connecting over a LAN (internally) other than WAN (externally) is you should be entering your internal ip (192.168.xxx.xxx) other than your external IP which everybody else uses.
                        I connect daily to both of my servers using a 2nd PC on my LAN with no problems.

Hope I've helped.
                        If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

You have helped me.

I'm sure I'm doing nothing wrong other than running the server on a win 7 HOME edition pc which I "think" may have issues i.e. if I try to locally connect as you suggest then I can't !!! BUT, the server is up and running without being seen on FSHost Spy by anyone else (not just me).

If I run the server off a win 7 pro edition machine then I can connect locally to manage e.g. http://192.168.X.X:81/xml.

Note I can't use port 80 as my router won't allow it and I can't change that with the rubbish supplied by my ISP.

I'm looking into a new router anyway: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router - 1900Mbps - Dual-Band

I have yet to test with friends if my FSHost server via the win 7 pro machine does actually appear on FSHost Spy but I think it will now show up.

AND, perhaps, certain group flying issues will be resolved also but I do not hold out that much hope with that.

Anyway many thanks again for making your valuable comments and for making me think about my situation.

With V2.1 soon to arrive I shall be re-testing everything I can think of regarding multiplayer via FSHost and report back.

Cheers ALL.

Bob.
                          BG2518

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                          Who has read this thread:
                          Working...
                          X