Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepar3D v2.0 - Details and Discussion (Out Nov. 25th)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepar3D v2.0 - Details and Discussion (Out Nov. 25th)

This thread will contain as much information regarding P3D v2.0 as possible. I will be updating the original post (this thing you're reading here) with all pertinent information and encourage everyone to post their findings or news in the comments below!

"Prepar3D v2.0 To Be Released This Month"

Prepar3D v2.0 Developer Blog #1 – DirectX11

Prepar3D v2.0 Developer Blog #2 – SimDirector

Rumoured Changelog for Prepar3D v2.0

System Requirements

Minimum Recommended
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit) Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
    Computer Processor 2.0 GHz Quad Core 3.0 GHz (Per Core) +
    Computer Memory 2 GB 4 GB +
    Hard Drive Space 30 GB (3 GB for the SDK)
    Graphics Card Video Memory 1 GB 2 GB + (GDDR5 or better)
    Graphics Card Other Full DirectX 11 Support (currently, DirectX 10 is not supported)
    Other Administrator Rights (For Installation)
    MSXML 6
    DirectX 11
    1024×700 minimum screen resolution
    Pricing

Prepar3D Professional Prepar3D Professional Plus
    Professional License
    $199.99
    Academic License
    $59.95
    Developer License
    $9.95/Month
    Professional License
    $2300.00
    Developer License
    $19.95/Month
    Training
    Instruction
    Learning
    Simulation
    Graduate Student
    Training, Instruction
    Simulation, Learning
    Undergraduate Student
    Training, Instruction
    Simulation, Learning
    K-12 Student
    Training, Instruction
    Simulation, Learning
    K-12 After School
    Programs
    Software
    Development
    Personal Consumer
    Entertainment

The NDA has also been lifted, all sorts of developers are already posting their work in the new sim, and I expect more to follow, so please be sure to post all screenshots in THIS THREAD. Thank you!
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
    Steam Group:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

For the sake of tidiness, I'm going to create a new thread in the Screenshots forum for all video and images related to P3D v2.0, then we'll clean this thread up for official information and discussion. If we need to refer to a screenshot in the future, we can link directly to the image without posting the image itself or link to the post in the official screenshot thread.

Edit: Well, that didn't work exactly as intended, so Waterman, I deleted your posts regarding landclass data accidentally. Sorry about that.
    Steam Group:

Comment

Looks promising, any word anything multiplayer? Or still relatively commercial solo based?

Comment

Originally posted by WarHawK View Post
        Looks promising, any word anything multiplayer? Or still relatively commercial solo based?
        I'm continuing to research P3Dv2 multiplayer but I'm not finding much. All info I can find pertains to v1.4. Sister community TBFSS (run by Roo) runs ChocolateSoftware's FSHost effectively, I read on their forum. TBFSS seems to run P3Dv1.4 and several Microsoft FS's with that FSHost. Dave Wave indicates his intention to support P3Dv2 in his FSOpen Server2 future updates and on his forum. The beta nondisclosure restrictions have been lifted I understand. Dave Wave reports on his forum that pricing may be disclosed by Monday and v2 may be available soon after USA Thanksgiving. I have no coroborating reports on either of these FSOpen statements but I continue to look. Coast has indicated his interest in exploring and assisting in multiplayer implementation.

There is considerable interest at FLIGHTS.net in this next generation of full featured flight sim. I WILL NOT presume to support it multiplayer under the FLIGHTS.net name without a vote of endorsement. Let us not forget that our community opposed DCS official support 3 to 1 in the past. I have posted on FSOpen forum and Prepar3D forum as well as our own forum our community's intention to support P3Dv2 multi. If such a community interest vote fails to carry, I will recind my words of intention to support on those forums. I would, in such a case of community voted disinterest, support a more private host server not associated with the FLIGHTS.net name either out of my residential IP address if technically possible or out of Henderson server if IP addresses cannot be shared FSX-P3Dv2.

May I solicit counsel and advice on my statement of intention either here or in Coast's previous two Tech Chat threads on the subject?
        Last edited by ROBERT DUNN 2; November 17, 2013, 02:15 AM.
        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

I think we will just have to wait and see what v2 is like before we decide to support it or not. If its <$60 and has stable multiplayer I'm all for it.

Comment

If it doesn't have multiplayer, I will not be purchasing anything.

Comment

I think multiplayer is supported but there may be a 60 pilot limit. It might not have Jeppesen connection.
              Last edited by ROBERT DUNN 2; November 17, 2013, 09:22 AM.
              Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Originally posted by WarHawK View Post
                If it doesn't have multiplayer, I will not be purchasing anything.
                I would think multi-player support for Prepar3DV2.0 is a very high probability. The issue is what additional software (if any) at what price $$$$$ (if any) is needed to run it.

From Bob's comment about Dave Wave's intention to include support for Prepar3DV2.0 multiplayer functionality in FSOPEN, it appears he hopes to be able to get an off the shelf Prepar3DV2.0 multiplayer server module AND the interface specifications needed to connect to it. If Prepar3DV2.0 uses the same interface as FSX (which is highly unlikely but remotely possible IMO), then the job would be easy.

I would like to see the Prepar3DV2.0 technical interfacing documentation and any white papers from them to help me understand how multiplayer will be supported. Microsoft put the FSX Simconnect documentation on MSDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526948.aspx. FSOPEN needed this information in the past to support FSX multiplayer.

-Coast

PS: Interesting FSX related information on MSDN
                http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Sea...ch%20MSDN&ac=5
                Last edited by Coast; November 17, 2013, 02:02 PM. Reason: Added PS:
                "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

looking forward to the release.
                  HawgDawg4Life.....

HawgDawg4life@msflights.net
                  See my videos Here

Comment

New statement from Orbx on P3D: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...compatibility/

Originally posted by John Venema
                    Hello everyone,

I've been reading various websites, forums, blogs and generally absorbing the "buzz" around the imminent release of Prepar3D 2.0 (P3D2), and I feel it is important for us as a company to set expectations for our customers about the level of compatibility of our very large library of products.

Regions

All our regions will be compatible, but they will require new installers to firstly get their patch level consolidated to current versions, and then to add P3D2 option to the installer to make them FSX/P3D1/P3D2 ready. We will make these region installers a priority.

Concurrent to that we are now adding the FTX Global 3D lighting and improved performance to all our regions. For example, many customers are now able to experience YMML at 30FPS with autogen maxxed using this new tech, so we won't be making new consolidated installers until each region has the new lighting installed. So please bear that in mind - this is a process that will take some months, please don't expect all our regions to be instantly upgraded and P3D2 ready when Lockheed release the new sim. AU SP4 has been done, and NZ North/South is next, followed by PNW.

FTX Global

We will make a new FTX Global installer which is FSX/P3D1/P3D2 ready. We have already got this working during P3D2 testing so we'll ensure that is a priority for the release so at least you have a base level of Orbx available for P3D2.

FTX Global VECTOR

This will be FSX/P3D1/P3D2 ready from release. We expect release just before xmas.

FTX Global openLC EU

This will be delayed until January. The reason for this is the sheer amount of manual work we are investing in to ensure we produce the absolute definitive landclass for all of Europe, which is a big territory. That said, we will begin beta testing of openLC EU in the first week of December. Believe me, it will be worth waiting the extra 4-5 weeks because I know you guys want particular countries in Europe to look their best, and we're making unique textures for each climatic area to achieve this. openLC EU will be FSX/P3D1/P3D2 ready out of the box.

Our 66+ airports

This is the big one; not a trivial project at all. Firstly, most of our airports will work fine in P3D2, but of course there are literally thousands of objects and iterations of how they are placed, across all these airports. There is also the issue of baked-in ground shadows at every one of them, something we need to consider as no longer being needed for P3D2 with its vastly improved shadow system that has little to no FPS impact. So one of the things I will be asking our developers to do as parallel project(s) is to create unique versions of the photoreal ground imagery that removes the "baked" ground shadows and then add an airport control panel item called "Disable baked-in ground shadows for P3D2".

In this way, we give the choice back to you to have the ground shadows active or disabled. At the same time this work will allow all developers to revisit Orbxlibs and perhaps update their use of PeopleFlow2/CreatureFlow and also vegetation. Once again, this is a process that will take many months, if not the bulk of 2014 for us to complete. But you have my promise that we will update all our airports (all 66+ of them) to take advantage of all the P3D2 features.

Then there are some problems with a few airports. We have a few instances of terminal buildings not displaying or vegetation not quite working correctly, and this comes down to our ObjectFlow DLL, which is still being ported to P3D2. We are facing a few technical issues with that code but I am committed to getting that resolved because a lot of what is unique about Orbx airports relies on ObjectFlow to be working correctly.

So again, please bear with us as we make these changes, invest in new code, update our object libraries and do the work that is necessary. Whilst we are 100% committed to P3D2 as a strategic platform for our customers, you must appreciate there is quite an investment in time and resources to update such a vast library of products.

NOTE: All new airports not yet released will be P3D2 tested and ready.

Why was this work not done before now?

Simple: until P3D2 was in beta and we had a chance to examine it and its code etc, it would have been foolish of us to pre-empt any changes we should make. We also have been logging a lot of bug reports to Lockheed and worked with them on DX11 shader issues including fixing the FTX Global lights so that will work out of the box from day one.

I hope this puts things into perspective for you: we are 100% behind P3D2, are actively testing all our products and will roll out brand new, fully patched installers for FSX/P3D1/P3D2 for every single product over the coming 6-12 months.

Meantime for those of you who are desperate to "port" P3D1 versions of Orbx products to P3D2, I am sure we can provide interim information to assist in the community finding solutions until our official installers arrive down the track.

Yours in updates
                    - Michael
                    Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Added a link to a very good blog on SimDirector that I somehow missed and don't remember seeing on here (I may have missed it), so be sure to check it out if you havent!

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/10/4561/
                      Steam Group:

Comment

Here's all the details!
                        http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/11/4648/
                        Pricing remains level!
                        - Michael
                        Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

You are a simulated saint, Waterman. I've been refreshing that forum for two days looking for this. Every interested pilot, follow Waterman's link. Officially, you gotta have a DirectX eleven video card and that will break the deal for some of our pilots. I will do my best to support multiplayer concurrently on both P3Dv2 and FSX but I'm still learning, exploring and prototyping.
                          Respects, Bob ...

Comment

My main concern is still that they are so adamant about this not being used for entertainment purposes, it's going to hurt developers. There is a big difference in releasing a plane that is meant to be used for enjoyment versus training.

Here is a quote from one of the Metal2Mesh developers.

We are still supporting FSX, with the use of Tac Pack system for future aircraft, and haven't made any decisions about P3D due to legal issues. There is a main problem with P3D and 3rd Party developers. It's not an entertainment platform, it's an education and training platform and for developers to create applicable content, they would need to obtain a license from the aircraft OEM, cause now we are not covered under the protection of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution as an artistic impression.
                            Steam Group:

Comment

I think we have to live with their being adamant. They've identified their most lucrative target market and want to establish and maintain product credibility within that market. And guess what: it's not us! We are too few in number and we don't have fat enough billfolds. X * Y is not large enough!

Lockheed Martin want the biggest return on their investment. They already know the return our market would give them - they only have to look at Microsoft's figures for that - and it's not enough. They're shooting for bigger fish.

So their reasoning is twofold. Catering for the "entertainment" community would require disproportionate effort on their part for too little reward. They'd prefer a more affluent professional market with fewer points of contact that can provide them sufficient profit for a lower threshold of effort. And - possibly more importantly - they evidently (and understandably) believe that being seen to cater for gamers would reduce credibility within their target market.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X