Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end is near

Fellow Microsoft Flight enthusiasts, today I bring sad news. The coming of the death of Microsoft Flight. We have one year with Flight before it will cease to exist in an online way.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...3&postcount=61

Games whose online facilities and achievements will die July 1, 2014--some of these may no longer be able to be activated at this point and thus will be DEAD DEAD:
    Ace Combat: Assault Horizon – Enhanced Edition
    Blacklight: Tango Down
    Bulletstorm
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Dead Rising 2
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
    DiRT 2
    Dirt 3
    F1 2010
    F1 2011
    Fable III
    Fallout 3
    FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
    FUEL
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
    Iron Brigade
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Lost Planet 2
    Microsoft Flight
    Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
    Ms. Splosion Man
    Operation Flashpoint: Red River
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
    Section 8
    Section 8: Prejudice
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes
    Street Fighter IV
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
    Universe at War: Earth Assault
    Virtua Tennis 4
    This means that Flight will no longer have online servers to support multiplayer. Sadly, F50ACE's flights will be no more (however we should be done with the Alaska hops by the time that day comes). We will still however be able to use our purchased content offline. However, as before mentioned, you will no longer be able to purchase new content in two days, so if you have anything you want to get, get it now.

Here's the AVSIM discussion. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/416647-...rosoft-flight/
    May we always have FSX.
    Last edited by Pandanator; August 20, 2013, 12:01 AM.

Can it be played in single player like FSX?
    Greetings from Dale
    Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Single player/offline play will still be untouched I believe.

Comment

hmmm interesting developments..... http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/...tplace-closing

does this mean GFWL is dead?

Comment

Can I get a refund considering the terms of my payment presumed (?) lifetime ownership of the rights to play the game? . . . Or did they (probably) have the foresight to include a clause in the EULA limiting my rights to that ownership, right next to the one where they limit my rights to drinking water, breathing, and existing.
          Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

I would imagine that we actually didn't purchase anything, but only rented a license to use their software.
            Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
            Steam Group:
            http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
            YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

Comment

This official announcement saddens me even tho I long suspected something like this would be decided at some time. This shutting down of the Microsoft Flight servers comes sooner than I expected. The vague announcement of what I then thought would be FSXI (Microsoft Flight Simulator Eleven) way back in August 2010 was what caused me to invest in a large desktop in January, 2012. You see, I thought such a fast computer would surely be handy to run next the Microsoft Flight Simulator. How wrong I was there, huh? That purchase turned fortuitous tho, when this desktop served several extended tours as our FSX host and was my FSX client in between server stints.

I'm one of those guys that stayed up late the night of February 29th to be the among the first to download Flight. I bought every add on from GWFL at full price the day it came out. At first I only flew single player and was timid and confused in the multiplayer environment. Soon after, after several more positive group experiences, multiplayer was all that I ever flew. Early in this franchise's history, those group experiences were with a British group which I called Microsoft Flight Fours UK. That group is long gone dark. Several of my good friends from there are present with us here like KLM and Oz Flyer and others not so frequent or prominent. After the Microsoft announcement of the cessation of development of Flight and the resultant demise of that UK group, I rejoined some of my old acquaintances in Flight over here at msFLIGHTS.net. I had registered on the original FLIGHTS.net website but, until this discontinuance development and its resultant effects, I had never actively participated in FLIGHTS.net forum nor multiplayer flights. I joined msFLIGHTS.net actively for take two of the Pearl Harbor video shoot and I have been actively involved with this community on a daily basis ever since.

Even considering today's announcement by Microsoft, I will consider my investment in time and money fortuitous and well worth it as my involvement in Flight led directly to my involvement with this active and interesting community we have built.

I'll post more later here in Panda's thread, particularly regarding a redefinition of what the ms in msFLIGHTS.net might be redefined to stand for as an abbreviation.
              Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Comment

Well, we still have FSX, and any other sims for the moment. I've beening spending more time in World Of Warplanes just cause I like the combat element. I hope to have the flights finished before that date. I'd like to see a nice sim with the stock detail of flight, but all the functions of FSX. ( That doesn't crash)
                  [I][FONT=Arial]MS Flight Event Organizer & Repainter
                  World of Warplanes SUPER ACE/Trainer[/FONT][/I]
                  [IMG]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a554/F50ACE/Raptor_zpse484ee75.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Wow... Even though I have not touched Flight in a long time, I am very sad about this because I have so many great memories from it... Maybe I should start the Bing rewards thing back up again to get the P40 for free like I did the rest of the Warbirds... I got up at 4:30 in the morning to download Flight on March first.
                    If it ain't Boeing — I ain't going.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0024.png[/img]

Comment

This reminds me, I still play Falcon 4.0 (1998) online via BMS, and Doom (1993) online via Skulltag/Zandronum. I'd hate to think I wouldn't be able to play these anymore due to some horrendous online dependency.

If Microsoft doesn't want to pay to keep the GFWL servers online, fine, but it's rather disgusting how a lot of these games don't have any form of dedicated server software. People are willing to take on the responsibility and costs to set these up themselves to play with friends, but rather being being given that opportunity, they're told to suck it and not have multiplayer at all.

Gaming in the 2010's is a bit less awesome than I thought it would be when I was dreaming about it back in the early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                        Sic transit gloria mundi.
                        How doth the busy bee,
                        Dum vivimus vivamus,
                        I stay mine enemy!

But working to make of it what we can while we can, we delay -- or perhaps therein find some way to defeat -- the inevitability of its demise. It cannot cease to exist entirely if it remains in so little as but memories.

Comment

/this is indeed sad but FSX is a good alternative!

Comment

It is a little sad knowing that our founding platform may be lost to cyberspace for eternity, and all that we will have left of it will be our videos and screenshots that we created spending time together in the game.

I think we should commemorate what was, what is, and what could have been with a string of group flights in Microsoft Flight some time before the game officially goes offline; With a final farewell in June of next year.

Comment

I want to be sitting atop Mauna Kea at the observatory in my RAAF Stearman when the servers go off-line.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X