Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type-9 Tales: Persistant Python

I saw him turning onto my six -- a Master Python -- but my FSD was already mostly charged. I was preparing to jump from super-cruise to hyperspace, and I had my destination dead ahead. His interdiction attempt began just a second or two before the hyperspace jump countdown, so instead of evading or conceding, I kept my course. My hyperspace jump countdown began, and though the interdiction continued, HYPERSPACE. Whew! That ought to put some distance between me and danger.

But (of course there's a but), I arrived at the destination star amidst an immediate flurry of graphical glitches and overlapping audio cues, which appeared to include traversing into/through a star mixed with interdiction escape guidance followed shortly after by the familiar and more tranquil (if you can believe that) "oh no, I've flown too close to a star" drop from super-cruise. Escaping the heat from a star, I was prepared for. Dodging fire from the enemy Python still on my six, I was not... He interdicted me all the way through hyperspace!?

Consider that Pythons mass-lock Type-9s, stars are hot when touched, and FSDs don't like sudden super-cruise drops; you can guess how this scenario plays out every time.

Thankfully Insured,

CMDR N2WT
    Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
    He interdicted me all the way through hyperspace!?

Consider that Pythons mass-lock Type-9s...
    It's not called an interdiction tether for nothing. Although a 350 tonne Python mass-locking a 1000 tonne Type-9 has always seemed ridiculous to me.

By the way, I'm told that ship-to-ship mass-lock has less effect if you're targeting another star for another hyperspace jump, rather than just trying to get into supercruise. That might be useful in future.

Comment

If you are being interdicted by (or are in combat with) another ship that will mass lock you, always have a hyperjump destination targeted for if/when you decide to run. If you're on a trade run, you can easily plan this ahead to avoid jumping to a hostile system. The Elite Dangerous manual says:
      Unlike super cruise, a hyperspace jump drive charge time is never affected by other vessels; the compression effect required for such dramatic compression overwhelms the mass effect of ships.
      Mass lock occurs if you're close to a ship with an equal or greater mass lock number in the table below than your own. If you're close to multiple ships, add them. Mass lock can occur up to 3.5 km (4.5 km for an Anaconda).
      6 Sidewinder, Eagle, Hauler
      7 Adder, Imperial Courier, Viper
      8 Type-6, Cobra, Diamondback Scout, Diamondback Explorer
      10 Vulture, Type-7
      11 Asp Explorer
      12 Imperial Clipper, Fer-de-Lance
      14 Federal Dropship
      15 Orca
      16 Type-9
      17 Python
      23 Anaconda

Comment

I'm confused... Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Assuming a hyperspace destination is armed,

"If you are being interdicted by" (thus you are in super cruise)
        Pressing J will result in a charging of the FSD, and per my story above, will keep the danger with you through the ensuing hyperspace jump.

"(or are in combat with)" (thus you are in conventional flight)
        Pressing J will result in a slow/hyperspace charging of the FSD, irrespective of any potential mass-locking,
        whereas jumping into super-cruise will be a slower charge because of the mass-lock effect.

If the above is correct, I've learned something about avoiding laborious mass-locked escapes from combat/conventional space, but attempting to escape interdiction by hyperspace-jumping still seems futile.

Also, according to that nice chart, three Sidewinders within 3.5km will mass-lock at Type-9? Anyone wanna wing up in Sideys and go Type-9 huntin' in a distant system? One with lasers to take out the shields, one with kinetic weapons to pop the hatch and ultimately destroy the thing, and a third to initiate interdiction/cargo scans/warrant scans/booty collection etc.
        Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

"If you are being interdicted by" (thus you are in super cruise)
          Pressing J will result in a charging of the FSD, and per my story above, will keep the danger with you through the ensuing hyperspace jump.
          Apparently so, according to your story, which is corroborated by the experiences of others on the Frontier forums.

"(or are in combat with)" (thus you are in conventional flight)
          Pressing J will result in a slow/hyperspace charging of the FSD, irrespective of any potential mass-locking,
          whereas jumping into super-cruise will be a slower charge because of the mass-lock effect.
          Correct. And this was the point of my post. Apparently this has always been so by design, and is documented as such, though it's not widely known.

If the above is correct, I've learned something about avoiding laborious mass-locked escapes from combat/conventional space, but attempting to escape interdiction by hyperspace-jumping still seems futile.
          Again, correct. Best escape is like this:
          1. Submit (to ensure your FSD cools in just 5 seconds).
          2. Check interdicting ship type (if you haven't already) and be ready to select hyperjump destination if you'll be mass locked.
          3. Align with destination (h-jump or sc).
          4. 4 pips to SYS for max shields (strength +150% vs 0 pip strength).
          5. Flight assist off and boost to max speed. (FA off ensures you stay at max speed, no matter how many ENG pips).
          6. Start to charge FSD.
          7. Use chaff/heat sinks if you have any to confuse turrets, gimbals and heat-seekers.
          8. Roll with vertical thrust to evade fixed projectile weapons while still staying aligned with destination.
          9. Wave goodbye.

Also, according to that nice chart, three Sidewinders within 3.5km will mass-lock at Type-9? Anyone wanna wing up in Sideys and go Type-9 huntin' in a distant system? One with lasers to take out the shields, one with kinetic weapons to pop the hatch and ultimately destroy the thing, and a third to initiate interdiction/cargo scans/warrant scans/booty collection etc.
          Thanks for the offer. I'll let others take you up on it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X