Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite Dangerous comes to Xbox One

Elite Dangerous "game preview" (whatever that means?) is now available for Xbox One.
    Heres the Trailer :

It means that Xboners will effectively do the beta testing for CQC (Close Quarter Combat), before we get it or (in my case) ignore it. This has already upset some early backers. Special early access price is $30.99 (£24.99, €30.99). But is that a space elevator I see... ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
      But is that a space elevator I see... ?!
      0:07 - 0:15: It appears to be... but does it really have sufficient distance from the surface to be past geostationary altitude? Given that I have no idea which planet is in the video, am I asking an impossible question?

I'm not sure I care about (what I believe to be) the gameplay model involved in CQC, but I do like the idea of more complex orbital or deep-space structures that could be investigated by a commander in a small ship. I could enjoy taking an Anaconda (more grinding required) to one such city, parking it in the long-term-parking lot, and cruising towards the inner city on a dinghy (sidewinder).
      Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

Geostationary altitude is directly proportional to the cube root of the planet's mass, and inversely proportional to the cube root of the square of the planet's angular speed. TL;DR: a light planet spinning quickly has a low geostationary altitude and needs a short elevator.

Structural complexity is good. And if it's constant because it has to obey physical law, rather than being arbitrarily simplistic like Powerplay mechanics, or subject to change like human law and the convoluted new fine and bounty system, I'm very much all for it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X