Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make-shift race course at Edwards AFB?

I got the idea the other night that Edwards would make a great place to create a race course out of. Since stock FSX comes with photo-real scenery for the location, everybody should see the same buildings and landmarks, making the process easier.

I have a rough idea for a course in mind, and will post some kind of image pointing things out once I have made one, however I highly encourage everybody to come up with their own layouts using the area. Think fast props, really low, high-g, and using scenery objects as pylons to mark which way to turn and what side of the pylon to turn on.

Let's snowball this idea, I think we could have something pretty awesome. Maybe we can even edit the scenery itself and make it a frequent thing.

Yeah that'd be cool having pylons and stuff. What aircraft would be allowed? Or only one type?

Comment

I would be happy to edit the scenery for this. Sounds like fun.
      Let me know if you would like me to help.

Happy landings,
      Lazer
      Happy landings,
      Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Alright I got a course laid out.... Lazer, I have ideas where pylons should go, and maybe some other markers; I'm unaware of how much you can add to the scenery without issues.

I just need to figure out how to get all of Edwards and the Aux base in a screenshot or something so I can figure out how to draw the path over it and post it

Comment

Hello everyone. I lived and raced (yz80) in the 70s at Edwards AFB. We had our own track and club . A J whiting was a regular and the one to beat in the 80 class. I can only remember a few other riders from the base, Terry Ducker and Craig Osborne. The Ward bothers came out on occasion, and Rodney Dangerfield's son raced there.

Comment

I can envision heli races wherein participants have to fully circle each pylon before moving to the next.
            One lap, of course.

Still, I'm skeptical of the million factors that make each pilot's flight environment different than the next's (circumstantial and intentional).
            Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

if someone wants to plot the course out on a map, I can go in with ADE and drop in marker to outline the course. With that done we can get the Lat/Long and make a GPS Flight plan for it (if its a large track).

We also have large open areas around Edwards that we could use. that would cut down a number of the flight environment factors.

Comment

http://imgur.com/mOC9y5m

Here is a rough outline of the course. Some parts will require a pylon gate, while others will only need one marker to indicate a turn. I'm also wanting to cut down how wide some turns and straights are by having some sort of "lane."

I'm planning this race to be for the A2A P-51, but so many other people have expressed an interest that it will probably end up expanding to a number of different classes depending on who wants to fly what.

I'm not going off of Lat. an Lon. as there are already a ton of scenery details to use as reference. I've been trying to get people to join me at Edwards when I'm around so we can have a look at the track and bounce around ideas, but nobody ever has the time

Comment

Done, done, and done......
                  Greetings from Dale
                  Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X