X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May the fourth be with you!

Colorado Prospector Tours #1
    This Saturday May 4th 2013, 9pm EDT, 8pm CDT, 7pm MDT, 6pm PDT (0100Z 2013-05-05) for approx. 2 hours.
    Granby > Leadville > Eagle Vail > Telluride = KGNB > KLXV > KEGE > KTEX = 90nm + 49nm + 137nm
    Cruising at 160kts between 6,500ft and 12,500ft.

Flight plans
    Please download all three .PLN flight plan files for your GPS. Please load the appropriate flight plan before each of the three legs.

You can also bookmark the following three Skyvector maps, but these are for information only as we'll fly using the .PLN files above:
    1. http://tinyurl.com/prospector1-1
    2. http://tinyurl.com/prospector1-2
    3. http://tinyurl.com/prospector1-3

The GPS flight plans are all very detailed and take you on scenic routes. Engage GPS and relax! Well almost... We'll be flying through valleys with high mountains around, so you do have to do the vertical navigation. But all the altitude recommendations are forced in as waypoint names, so please keep looking at your GPS. (See the calendar entry for copious detail, including sightseeing info, on all three flights.)

Aircraft
    Yes: Fast GA props with high altitude performance. (e.g. default Mooney Bravo works very well)
    No: Slow aircraft, low altitude aircraft, jets, warbirds, rotocraft, G1000 (need easy-to-read GPS waypoints).

Suggested practice
    On the day: Reduce fuel load, pre-lean mixture and set take-off flaps before first departure.
    Beforehand: Ensure you can depart from KGNB rwy 27 with a light headwind!

Time, date and Weather
    I have asked Bob to set the following for the flight:
    • September 15th, daytime. (The trees are turning nicely.)
    • Winds 250 @ 8kts to 6500ft, rising to 250 @ 15kts at 19500ft. This should give:
      • Headwind at Granby for departure and at Eagle Vail for both landing and departure.
      • Crosswind at Leadville for both landing and departure.
      • Tailwind landing at Telluride.
    • Clouds few cumulus (1 octa) tops 7200ft, broken cirrus (6 octas) at 40000ft.
    • Visibility unlimited.

May the fourth be with you!

Wonderful title. Sounds great, count me in! Do you think the c-23 Sherpa will work out for this flight?

Comment

You'll be very welcome Aaron. As for the Sherpa, if you have a civilian paint scheme available, yes fine.

You might find you're throttled way back as I think it has a relatively fast cruise compared to, say, the Mooney. The crucial thing is the first departure from KGNB, though I'm guessing the STOL performance will see it OK. When in doubt, test it out beforehand. :eagerness:

It'll be nice to have a cousin of "The Flying Shoebox" in the group!

Comment

Nice trip, I made the trip the other day in the Baron. It was a long sssssssllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww climb.

Comment

Yes, the Baron struggles a little in the climb over the Rockies (even when nicely adjusted)! Which is why I recommend the Mooney as a default. :eagerness:

But very glad you enjoyed the trip. Do join in a second time on Saturday evening if you can. More of a challenge with lots of other aircraft around.

Comment

Below is an image of all three flight plans for the "May the fourth be with you" group flight.
            You can download all three flight plans from here.
            Please activate each one before the appropriate leg of the flight!

And you'll find lots more detailed information about all the waypoints here.

By the way, for vertical navigation during the flight, please check your GPS regularly.
            You'll find there are vertical navigation recommendations in the "from" (left-hand) waypoint names.
            For example, "GREEN > BLUE" or "BLUE > UP 12k5" on your GPS need no action. But "UP 12k5 > DILLON" suggests you start climbing to 12,500ft (though you don't have to get there faster than your normal 500-700ft/minute climb rate.
            (You don't have to follow these - they're only suggestions. But I'll be following them myself, and the mountains are very unforgiving!)

See you all there!
            Last edited by Storm; May 4, 2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
            Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X