Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS

I would like to propose a somewhat different approach to group flight planning I call SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS. These would be either minimally themed and/or specialized types of group flights where different people would take responsibility for planning and would also lead. I have scheduled a few group flights for some Tuesday's called Coast's Old Time Nostalgia Hops which would become part of the SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS.

Please see http://msflights.net/forum/calendar....=getinfo&e=338 for more information about Coast's Old Time Nostalgia Hops.

Recently some of us have been flying an exceptional Lockheed Constellation from P3D, that comes without a GPS autopilot and requires a different set of skills to navigate effectively. I plan to add the first special event for next Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 9 PM where we will fly this aircraft on its maiden flight from New York to Bermuda. We will be using both a little bit of dead reckoning with correction for cross winds and VOR radio navigation to find Bermuda out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. An ILS landings will be encouraged.

For those who do not have this specific aircraft livery, they can also participate by downloading any freeware version of any aircraft that is appropriate to the specific group flight parameters. These are :

1. Vintage autopilot based on VOR navigation (no GPS).
    2. Piston prop liners of the late 1940's or early 1950's of sufficient range and speed to keep up with the Connie.

Remember not all people will find participation in these group flight to their liking. They may NOT like the aircraft selected or group flight parameters specified. I would respectfully suggest that if a group flight does not appeal to you, either you skip it and/or schedule a group flight of your own that does.

-Coast
    "Having fun with friends! "

The Constellation can also be purchased directly from Just Flight here, its the same aircraft as the one that was included with P3D update 1.1.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/msflights
    Steam Group:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/msflights
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSFlightsMedia

Comment

Originally posted by Coast View Post
      I would like to propose a somewhat different approach to group flight planning I call SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS. These would be either minimally themed and/or specialized types of group flights where different people would take responsibility for planning and would also lead. I have scheduled a few group flights for some Tuesday's called Coast's Old Time Nostalgia Hops which would become part of the SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS.

Please see http://msflights.net/forum/calendar....=getinfo&e=338 for more information about Coast's Old Time Nostalgia Hops.

Recently some of us have been flying an exceptional Lockheed Constellation from P3D, that comes without a GPS autopilot and requires a different set of skills to navigate effectively. I plan to add the first special event for next Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 9 PM where we will fly this aircraft on its maiden flight from New York to Bermuda. We will be using both a little bit of dead reckoning with correction for cross winds and VOR radio navigation to find Bermuda out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. An ILS landings will be encouraged.

For those who do not have this specific aircraft livery, they can also participate by downloading any freeware version of any aircraft that is appropriate to the specific group flight parameters. These are :

1. Vintage autopilot based on VOR navigation (no GPS).
      2. Piston prop liners of the late 1940's or early 1950's of sufficient range and speed to keep up with the Connie.

Remember not all people will find participation in these group flight to their liking. They may NOT like the aircraft selected or group flight parameters specified. I would respectfully suggest that if a group flight does not appeal to you, either you skip it and/or schedule a group flight of your own that does.

-Coast
      Our SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS seems to have turned into CONNIE FLIGHTS on Wednesday. After we complete two more scheduled Connie Group Flights on March 12, 2014 and March 19, 20014, we will end up in Burbank California, the home of the Connie.

April 14, 2014 will be the 70th anniversary of the first flight of the Lockheed Constellation from Burbank to Washington, DC, I plan to commemorate it with two group flights that end up in Washington, DC. Since we have already flown most of the way only east to west instead of west to east (i.e., Philadelphia to Burbank), I think it should only take two more CONNIE FLIGHTS to get us back to DC. The first from Kansas City to Cincinnati via St. Louis, and the second from Cincinnati to Washington, DC via Pittsburgh on April 9, 2014 and April 16, 2014 respectively. This leaves Marc h 26, 2014 and April 2, 2014 available for yet unplanned CONNIE FLIGHTS.
      Last edited by Coast; March 8, 2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coast View Post
        Our SPECIAL EVENT TUESDAYS GROUP FLIGHTS seems to have turned into CONNIE FLIGHTS on Wednesday. After we complete two more scheduled Connie Group Flights on March 12, 2014 and March 19, 20014, we will end up in Burbank California, the home of the Connie.

April 14, 2014 will be the 70th anniversary of the first flight of the Lockheed Constellation from Burbank to Washington, DC, I plan to commemorate it with two group flights that end up in Washington, DC. Since we have already flown most of the way only east to west instead of west to east (i.e., Philadelphia to Burbank), I think it should only take two more CONNIE FLIGHTS to get us back to DC. The first from Kansas City to Cincinnati via St. Louis, and the second from Cincinnati to Washington, DC via Pittsburgh on April 9, 2014 and April 16, 2014 respectively. This leaves Marc h 26, 2014 and April 2, 2014 available for yet unplanned CONNIE FLIGHTS.
        My original group flight concept has now morphed to GOONEY BIRD FLIGHTS on Wednesday, as it seems I am not to be able to keep a consistent theme. We will be returning to CONNIE FLIGHTS someday in the future, but not until we conclude the string of GOONEY BIRD FLIGHTS I have planned for the next 2 months or so.

I would like to point out that we now have a reasonably strong group flight schedule for every day of the week. I don't know if this will be the case in the future, but I would encourage those who already are planning and leading them to continue to do so as long as they find them fun to do.

Change is inevitable, and I would also encourage anyone who is considering hosting a group flight to jump in when and where they can to host a group flight they feel strongly about.

Thanks.

-Coast

Comment

I like both the Connie and the Gooney Bird.
          • To look at, the Art Deco form of the Connie gives it an edge (unless I fly the Gooney's Buffalo Airways livery).
          • To fly, the gentle feel short field Gooney wins (unless I want more speed).
          Of course I can combine both with the de Havilland DH.91 Albatross!

They have their different strengths.
          • The Connie is great for comfort, distance and speed. It's an airliner after all.
          • The Gooney is great for shorter fields and awkward out-of-the-way places.
          Our Connie flights were examples of real possible use. But, by contrast, I don't feel we've been playing to the Gooney Bird's strong suit so far - or at least we've only scratched the surface. Most of the time we've been flying the Gooney like the Connie, only with shorter runs.

So why don't we do Gooney Bird flights with shorter hops to more obscure fields? You know the sort of thing... clandestine runs, mountain villages, don't question what's in the carefully sealed boxes we're loading in...

You could even call it "Coast's Clandestine Cargo Runs." irate:
          You know, I have a feeling you'd be good at that! :eagerness:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X