Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLY with ATC!

We controllers get grumpy when we don't have traffic to control.

So I'm trying to drum some up.

Below I've got a quick FAQ (ish) list to try and get more pilots using ATC.

I just want to fly around without ATC pestering me with headings and altitudes?
    We can do that, in fact I like to do that as I don't have to worry about you crashing into other planes or terrain.
    Just ask ATC for a VFR SERVICE.
    Under a VFR BASIC SERVICE(Disclaimer:Europe only, similar services may be available elsewhere thought the world)
    ATC will give you a direction in which to depart and let you crack on with your flight with no further input until you want to land again.
    Under a VFR TRAFFIC SERVICE(Disclaimer:Europe only, similar services may be available elsewhere thought the world)
    The controller will let you do what you want as above but advise you of traffic in the area as well.

Roo, I don't know what to say to ATC it sounds confusing.
    It's ok most controllers don't know half of what their saying to you either. :tongue-new:
    Just start by getting your callsign (type !C in the FSX chat window) and then tell the controller exactly what you want to do.
    ie. " TOWER, UNITED123. I'd like to fly around the airport to land again with you giving me headings and altitudes."

You could even say "Tower I've not a clue what I'm doing can you help me out".
    If you don't ask you'll never know.

I fly in a formation with my friends and don't need ATC.
    Have you ever flown in a formation with ATC?
    Usually the lead aircraft will talk to ATC while everyone else stays in formation.

Formations can do things like formation landings, take offs and breaks over the airfield.
    It's fun when a controller has IFR Inbounds, outbounds, a circuit full of VFR traffic and a formation coming in to join. :dejection:

I hope I've enticed a few more to come and fly with ATC.
    If you want to do something just ask the controller. :listening_headphone
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Great post Roo. I agree with you and I think that some are afraid as they have no experience, but here at msflights, one can take their time and make mistakes without being shouted at.

Comment

Also, once you have got the knack of talking to atc, I would encourage you to stop doing circuits around the controlled airfield. Do not be afraid to ask tower for the icao (four letter identifier from the International Civil Aviation Organisation) code of a local airport and hop between the two. This also will encourage an extra controller to come online resulting in double the fun!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
      Who has read this thread:
      Working...
      X