Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Utility to: display weather in flight

The contribution to the forum that I bring today is a very simple application but with some surprising results.
    Who wouldn't want to know how much to raise or lower the level of flight in order to have more favorable winds, or avoid icing, know the ceiling of clouds, or know from other airport ATIS/METAR?

Well, It is an old freeware software by Peter Dowson (WEATHERSET/2) but that, surprisingly, works reasonably well in FSX. It is a very easy reader (and in some ways, modifier) the wheather in the game. With this application you can see easily the weather on the flight.

As always, for my limited English, and so you can understand better, I prefer to quote part of the description that the own Peter Dowson makes of the application [text in bold are annotations mine]

======================================
    READING weather:
    1. Reads all weather data from FS2004
    (and FSX)
    by default the weather at the user aircraft. <..>
    When reading weather at an ICAO Wx station, if
    there are active AI aircraft with allocated
    runways, the arrival and departure runways
    allocated to traffic are shown as
    well
    (no tested in multiplayer)<..>
    2. Provides manual or automatic (periodic) refresh
    of displayed data
    <..>
    WRITING weather
    3. Provides a facility to clear all weather. This
    also resets Dynamic Weather to stop changes.
    <..>
    For a selected Weather Station (or "GLOB"):
    4. Allows individual layers in any weather section
    be be Deleted or Modified
    <..>
    5. New layers can be inserted before a selected
    layer
    .<..>
    ======================================

Screenshots from two applications:

WeatherSet

WeatherSet2

My experience:

Simple freeware soft with information very useful, with possibility of working in network (needs registered widefs), works very well in game mode individually and reasonably well in multiplayer mode. Useful by pilots (know your flight weather condition) and ATC to know or report real metar from proper or other airports (here I omit describe the problems with FSX real weather). In the tests I've done in multiplayer mode, changes maked over weather only affect the player who makes them, not to the rest of the session (important if you try to t/o or landing with ATC in service!).

The better: Easy functions, do no need install, useful information, no have impact on PC speed by using minimal resources and, of course, freeware.

The less good: Is a old experimental application (under description) with a use something complicated (for those who don't read the full description), the presentation of data is very simple, but easy to read, and sometimes does not give the expected results.

The bad: There are other more complete applications (but some are payware ). Only I tested it with FSUIPC registered and don't know if the application run with freeware FSUIPC (in same FSX computer) and only I tested in WindowsXP.

Note: I have found download links from the web by Peter Dowson: WEATHERSET and WEATHERSET2, each with their functions and proper txt description files.
    Last edited by BHELTRA V; November 7, 2013, 05:41 PM. Reason: New link to download
    [SIZE=2][COLOR="#0000FF"]I am responsible [B]for what I say[/B], but not for [B]what you can interpret[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]...
    [I][B][SIZE=1]Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri[/SIZE][SIZE=4]???[/SIZE][/B][/I]
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X