Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Utility to display charts in a panel FSX (ATC or pilots).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Utility to display charts in a panel FSX (ATC or pilots).

A very useful freeware application for those who want to make use of cards (either ATC or pilot) in *. Pdf format (the most used in publications AIP) and do not want to be all the time switching between applications.

As my English is very limited, I think it's better to copy part of the description of the addons by Nils Meier.

<===>

Every serious flight-simmer eventually ends up referring to charts for their flying adventures. Whether it's a VFR sectional or more likely an approach chart for self-study or while flying under virtual ATC services.

The best coverage and free source for those charts are PDF files available for download. Unless these pilots have a second screen to render those charts in heavyweight PDF-apps this means juggling the external application, fighting for screen estate and struggling to have flight-simulator as well as chart right at hand ... without getting into each others way.

Now - imagine PDFKneeboard - this flight-sim module renders PDF documents right inside FS. It remembers what part of the chart the pilot is looking at (section, zoom, rotation - for each page), it lets FS keep the focus, remembers opened charts and offers a kneeboard-toggle button.
    When the important instrument approach chart is needed a simply joystick button click brings it right back where the pilot needs it while staying out of the way when not needed.

<..>

The following keyboard shortcuts are pre-defined by default and available while the flight simulator window is active (can be changed in settings):
    K - toggle kneeboard visible/hidden
    Ctrl+O - open PDF document
    Ctrl+W - close currently displayed PDF document
    Ctrl+Shift+W - close all PDF documents

Ctrl+Tab - switch to next document
    Ctrl+Shift+Tab - switch to previous document

Page Up - prev page
    Page Down - next page

Ctrl+= - zoom in
    Ctrl+- - zoom out
    Ctrl+0 - zoom to 100%

Use the following mouse actions to manipulate the kneeboard view:

Mouse Wheel Up/Down - prev/next page
    Ctrl+Mouse Wheel Up/Down - zoom in/out
    Shift+Mouse Wheel Up/Down - counter/clockwise rotate page

<===>

You can download it from HERE:
    Last edited by BHELTRA V; November 2, 2013, 09:58 PM.
    [SIZE=2][COLOR="#0000FF"]I am responsible [B]for what I say[/B], but not for [B]what you can interpret[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]...
    [I][B][SIZE=1]Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri[/SIZE][SIZE=4]???[/SIZE][/B][/I]

Does it automatically pull the charts from somewhere, or do you have to download them first?

Looks interesting.
    - Michael
    Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
      Does it automatically pull the charts from somewhere, or do you have to download them first?

Looks interesting.
      You need first donwload charts, but this addon can open file (remember, pdf format) from any place or folder, including network path (from other computer inside your network).

For download charts, I suggest to read <Charts from Publications AIP/AIS>

============================
      More information:

The addon don't have installer, only need to follow steps instructions from txt file inside the download pack (for FS9 and FSX with WindowsXP & Vista) and need to modify the file dll.xml to include the addon as menu in FSX.

Functions:

When starting FSX a advisory screen appears (as is usual in these cases)

Thence, inside flight, you can see a new menu in FSX and you can open, hide, show, close or modify the setting of addon

In setting mode, you can change or select buttons from joystick or keys or combinations keys for addon.

============================

Please note: Actually I don't use this addon because I use several software in several computers (and tablet) on my network for charts/maps, computer fuel, flight record, panels etc... and I use principal computer only to run FSX, but in other times I used it when my network was incompleted and was useful. I just wanted post this note because people ask me over this theme (charts, maps, freeware software, etc.) and my english are no fluid to explain over.
      [SIZE=2][COLOR="#0000FF"]I am responsible [B]for what I say[/B], but not for [B]what you can interpret[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]...
      [I][B][SIZE=1]Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri[/SIZE][SIZE=4]???[/SIZE][/B][/I]

Comment

Muchas gracias again, BHELTRA. This add on is very interesting to me and relevant to the way I navigate in FSX. Of particular interest to me is the .PDF file format and the network availability and connectivity that PDFKneeboard supports. Please keep posting these helpful tips, suggestions and links.
        Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Nice option if you want a higher level of realism. However, I think with today's glass cockpits and GPS navigation, Gmap or FSMovingMap are other options that add a moving map to your desktop. Very handy if you have 2 monitors, but both can be set over FSX.

I am going to install this option. for those DC-3 flights we do. Thanks for the post.

This app could be used as an in-dash pdf reader for anything really. Doesnt have to be a chart.

Nice option.
          HawgDawg4Life.....

HawgDawg4life@msflights.net
          See my videos Here

Comment

I remember when I used it, which had no impact on the FSX frames (fps).

It is a handy resource for those who have limited resources or is rarely used.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgDawg4life View Post
              This app could be used as an in-dash pdf reader for anything really. Doesnt have to be a chart.

Nice option.
              Good thinking... load it up with the manual for the aircraft. I was pouring through the A2A 172 PDF manual. It could be very useful in those situations.
              - Michael
              Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Who has read this thread:
              Working...
              X