Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VATSIM Backcountry Short Hops Idaho

For these flights we'll be doing some back country short hops around some the Idaho mountains on the VATSIM servers. Many of the airports in the area are fairly easy. Some not as much. Altitude, density altitude and grass strips will provide a interesting but not overwhelming challenge for take offs.
    • Resources:

• Flight Plan: This week we'll start from the Flying B Ranch (12ID). From there we'll fly down a crik to the Lower Loon Creek USFS (ID67). We'll follow the crik over Manhoney Creek USFS then onto Thomas Creek (2U8)for our 1st stop. After that it will be on to Landmark USFS (0U0) and finally to Krassel USFS. In X-Plane Thomas Creek has runs along the side of a hill. I'm sure it's misplaced but it's interesting nonetheless.Buck found an decent set of airports for the area on the X-Plane site for those interested. -LINK-<link>
    • Aircraft: Many of the single engine aircraft we ordinarily fly will work for these hops. Stepping out of the comfort zone into a bush style tail dragger might had to the fun of the flight. Plan on airspeeds in the 100 knots indicated range. I'll likely be flying a Super Cub, possibly a C-185.
    • Server Information : Refer to the instructions posted for our initial group flight on VATSIM for information. <link> In addition to that information, X-Plane users need only enter the appropriate information into XSquawkBox v1.3.3

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    In X-Plane Thomas Creek has runs along the side of a hill. I'm sure it's misplaced but it's interesting nonetheless.
    Is this with or without the most recent update (July 7th) to the free downloadable airport scenery?

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
      Is this with or without the most recent update (July 7th) to the free downloadable airport scenery?
      I did update the other day. I used the sceneries in the pack that Buck found. What does it look like with the one in the scenery database?

Comment

That download is broken. The terrain is wrong and the strip is wrong, suspended over the ground at the NE end with trees growing through it. It's awful! (No picture - it's so bad!)

I suggest you delete that one from Custom Scenery as the default is perfectly fine, if a little unadorned, low rez pic of which is below...

Comment

Hey - looking forward to this great flight!

X-Plane 11 identifies 12ID as 79U. The "m" key is pretty handy to identify alternate airport codes.

Therefore my flight plan begins at 79U.

Hope this helps anyone else who encounters this quirk.
          Last edited by Bluejay; July 26, 2017, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bluejay! By the way, in FSX I have FTX Global and Vector but not FTX CRM, so my equivalent view of Thomas Creek in FSX looks like this!

Comment

Hi folks! I'm a VATSIMer, to whom Karl introduced himself last night while I was flying in Idaho (Hi Karl, I was the guy heading to S90 with the curved runway , and he graciously invited me here. I'd never heard of msflights before, so I guess I'm one of those aforementioned VATSIM pilots that these (ms)flights can 'pick up.' Looking forward to joining you all tomorrow if you don't mind!

(I tried a 'dry run' of the route a little while ago in my favored little (light sport) Tecnam P92... Holy Cow! Fun but nerve-wracking 'slalom,' especially when some weather briefly came up and I had to go down to a couple hundred AGL for visibility. Anything faster than 70 kts IAS on some of those bends will turn me into canyon paint. Yikes Thanks again ~

Comment

Awesome! See you there !

Comment

I called ahead and all of the strips are freshly mowed. But the trees and hills are still there. So bring your flight chops to our back country flight tonight.

Comment

It was another great flight. We had a great turnout, and the scenery and weather was so beautiful. Thank you Karl for another great flight. http://imgbox.com/g/VzisZMrlfQ

Comment

Some pics of an excellent flight (thanks Karl). These are from my Super Cub in XP11.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X