Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA hops on VATSIM

First things first. I’m sure an immediate reaction to some when they read the title is… VATSIM? Why on earth is a group flight at msFlights scheduled on the VATSIM network?

That's a good question. It deserves asking and discussion. Nova and I both feel that we confirmed a theory at the recent FlightSimCon that we attended. That theory is that many VATSIM users only fly airliners because they don’t know that there is a another option out there that might appeal to them. These folks tend to be adults. Aviation is a hobby for these folks, not simply something they came across on a Steam sale. I talked to one person who is beginning to build a home cockpit for GA flying. There is real potential on VATSIM to grow our community with the type of people we are for the most part.

The big downside is of course ATC. Many of us do not want to have to deal with ATC. But wait! If we don’t use Class B, C, or D airports/airspaces we don’t have to deal with ATC. I spoke with Evan from Boston Virtual about this. He didn’t see any conflict with us having group flights on the VATSIM network.

A group of 3, 5 or 10 pilots flying together will attract attention on VATSIM. The more regularly it is done, the more often that attention will switch from observing to asking questions. Some percentage of users that ask questions will want to participate.

All in all, I think it will be a net gain for our community. Let’s give it a try.

[Sorry for the sloppy formatting below. The editor on the page is not doing what I want it to.]

CONNECTING TO VATSIM

• I would recommend un-checking a particular box. In the Settings window, uncheck the box regarding checking for updates.

FLIGHT PLAN:

<hint>AirCraft: </hint>

• <hint></hint><hint></hint><hint></hint><hint>Plan on flying ~110 or so at 2,000-5,000 msl.</hint>

<hint>

</hint>

Sounds like a great idea Karl! I will support you, but cannot guarantee availability for participation. I would also like to point out that there has been many successful "VFR" non-ATC flights on VATSIM with people from msFlights. If you have any caution of this, do not be worried. Even if ATC pops up at an airport that interferes with the flight, a simple direction or destination change can be made. Also, disconnecting from the VATSIM network at any time can ensure any doubts you may have. These scenarios will be very unlikely to happen, as they have never happened to me during my flights on VATSIM.

Comment

I'll support larger scale investigation of VATSIM facilities for our community's group flights. I know Evan Reiter to be an accommodating and knowledgeable administrator from our work with Evan in the days of FSX:SE beta testing. If Evan says OK, doesn't see obvious problems, Karl likes the idea, 404 Mike and other frequent VATSIM users have no immediate cautions, I vote let's try it. I really don't see ATC interactions to be a problem. Even as Karl's motivation may contain some small portion of VATSIM tubeliner pilot introduction to the wonders of GA flights at msFLIGHTS.net, maybe VATSIM can show our pilots how helpful and non-stressful a short conversation with a tower can be. Just ask ATC_ROO. I'll make it a point to show up.

Is VATSIM registration required or recommended? I've never flown on VATSIM facilities before.
      Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT DUNN 2 View Post
        Is VATSIM registration required or recommended? I've never flown on VATSIM facilities before.
        It is required. Ziltoid (aka Dinkelberg/Pat) did it last night. He had a Java issue with the site. Once he got past that he got a confirmation email within minutes. He had issues connecting via XPlane after that. Another new user was able to connect about 10 or 15 minutes after he asked where to get vPilot.

I will probably post some how to screen shots and such mid to late week. I suspect it won't be an issue for most but there will be some we'll have to troubleshoot.

Comment

Well to be honest I'm not a fan of VATSIM for a number of reasons.
          But....
          I have flown on it(And still do) from time to time.
          If this is something our group want to try then I'm behind it.
          It may even show Pilots that ATC is not a bad thing and can add realism and help a flight if done well.
          It might be nice if the lead did contact ATC in VATSIM on behalf of those that didn't want too.
          "MSFLIGHT formation, cleared to transit...."
          That would keep Pilots that didn't want ATC and VATSIM controllers that wanted traffic happy.
          If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Originally posted by ATC_ROO View Post
            ...VATSIM controllers that wanted traffic happy.
            At least in the initial stages I'm not planning on using any fields that are controlled. So ATC wanting traffic or not wanting traffic won't be a factor. We'll see how things progress.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, and we would be all setup for atc if we ever felt up for it.

Comment

I have added some basic instructions and a basic flight plan. I'm tinkering around with Plan-G now to build a flight plan for both FSX and X-Plane.

Comment

Great idea! I'll try and make it.

Comment

Just under 2 hours until flight time for our VATSIM GA hops.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X