Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the World Intermission #4/7: Change of planes

Back in 1978 again, we must change planes. Our journey takes us via Aspen-Pitkin airport, which has, as many of you know, a wingspan restriction of 95ft (and a maximum gross landing weight of 100,000 lbs). Therefore no C-130s, no Constellations, no C-97s, no C-133s, no C-119s, no Shackletons, no Nordatlantes will be allowed this week!

Server: JoinFS latest stable version, currently v1.1.10.
    Hub: FSVintageAIR 98.208.26.125

Cruise: 210 kts indicated at 15,000 ft asl. (slower than the normal 225 kts)

Aircraft: Cargo props and propliners with wingspan less than or equal to 95 feet. NO JETS.
    Examples: Antonov An-32 (= the biggest aircraft allowable that we normally fly), Dash 8, Cargo Bronco, Howard 500 and the default King Air 350 are all OK.
    Note: ILS equipped is highly recommended.

Route: Week 4: KJAC>KRKS>(ZODSY)*>KASE>KAPA
    (Jackson Hole > Rock Springs > ZODSY intersection > Aspen > Centennial)

*Recommended approach to KASE: Rwy 15 only via LOC/DME (111.15Mhz). No glide slope; vertical navigation is pilot's responsibility. Altitude at JARGU intersection is 13,400 ft, slowing, 11,700 ft at DOYPE, then steep descent.

Recommended departure from KASE: Straight out rwy 33 only, climbing at 1,000-1500 ft/min, to JOSAN intersection, turn left after 9,000ft toward CQL NDB (344 kHz) maintaining climb rate, then turn right at CQL climbing to 15,000 ft by DBL VOR (113 MHz), then direct KAPA maintaining 15,000 ft.

Flight plan (PLN file): https://tinyurl.com/storms-flight-plans (includes recommended approach/departure)

Singularity: the quality of being singular, a distinction from others, a peculiarity, when AI surpasses human intelligence (computers), a region in spacetime such as a black hole in which tidal gravitational forces become infinite (astrophysics)...

Duplicity: the quality of being twofold or double, deliberate deceptiveness in speech or behavior, double dealing, misleading and fraudulent representation, fake news...

Last edited by Storm; April 19, 2017, 03:00 PM. Reason: Corrected route map

I was just starting to get the feel of the C-27J and thinking about giving a little Stormotention when I saw this. I said to myself, darnit, now I have to find something smaller. Wait. Let's check the wingspan. Hmm. 94 feet. Sweet!

Comment

Thank you Karl. The C-27J Spartan will be a welcome and appropriate alternative plane for this flight. :eagerness: What other pilots will substitute you as, who don't have the $15 Iris payware, is another matter!

Comment

Reminder: Join us as KJAC tonight for a showery snowy ride over the Rockies. Props only. Max wingspan = 95ft. Some facts about KASE, our second stop tonight:
        • Since 2014 (when Telluride stopped commercial service), Aspen has been the highest commercial airport in the US.
        • Despite that, local peaks reach more than a mile higher than airport elevation.
        • Maximum wingspan is 95 ft because the taxiway is so close to the runway.
        • The maximum certificated gross landing weight is 100,000 pounds.
        • The airport has a curfew: no aircraft operations are allowed between 11pm and 7am.
        • All approaches are to runway 15, and all departures are from runway 33, regardless of the wind.
        • There have been 7 major accidents at Aspen since 1970.

Missed approach to KASE: Make climbing right turn to 14,000ft, to hdg 301°, and pick up back course of I-PKN localizer (121°) on 108.5 MHz.
        Note: This is a separate localizer to I-ASE approach (149°) on 111.15 MHz.

Comment

Here are some pics of the flight. http://imgbox.com/g/zyiZm7OOLo

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X