Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the World lap 4 --- Episode 38: Alexander's Great Holiday --- 400 BCE Pakistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the World lap 4 --- Episode 38: Alexander's Great Holiday --- 400 BCE Pakistan

Hi pilots! Looks like its time for another adventure back in Time!

Tonight's mission:

After conquering the lands of Sindh, Punjab and the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa regions of Pakistan, Alexander the Great has decided to send his troops on a well needed Vacation! On Thursday night, HQ is sending us to the year 400 BCE so that we can gather Alexander's men from various regions around Pakistan, and bring them to beautiful Chahbahar Iran for some rest and relaxation.

This flight will take place in SimLink. See here for details:

Thursdays flightplan is as follows:

Jinnah Intl., Pakistan Departure (OPKC)
    Ormara, Pakistan (OPOR)
    Gwandar Intl., Pakistan (OPGD)
    Konarak, Iran (OIZC)

A flightplan .PLN file for this flight can be found here:
    http://1drv.ms/1O4aN5s

AIRCRAFT
    The preferred aircraft is the C-130 Hercules. Alternatives include the C-97 Stratofreighter, the Antonov An-12 and An-32, the C-133 Cargomaster, the Howard 500 and the Boxcar - or any cargo prop that can do 270 kts at around 12,000 ft.
    No Jets.

Recommended SimLink type codes when you connect using vPilot:
    If you're flying Enter the Type Code
    C-130 C130
    An-12 AN12
    C-97 C97
    An-32 AN32
    C-133 C133
    C-119 (Boxcar) C119
    L-188 (Electra) DC4
    Howard 500 DC3
    Ensure you have the latest model matching files installed.

-------------------------------------------
    Not sure what to fly?

For those who don't have or don't want to fly the C-130, Storm was kind enough to document which are the best planes for these "Around the World" cargo flights. This should help you decide.

• C-97 Stratofreighter Popular, quality freeware that comes with an installer (v2) available here, or without an installer (v3) but with extra models and separate optional extra mods and liveries here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • C-133 Cargomaster Largest aircraft with massive payload. Easy to fly (with practice). Keeps up with the C-130. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section; install both v1 + cumulative v1.3 upgrade). Warning: a small number of pilots have frame rate problems when flying this aircraft.
    • An-12 Most similar to C-130. Most extras (airbrake, autothrottle, paradrop). Russian annotations. Most difficult to fly. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • An-32 Most frame-rate friendly. Best cockpit model. Easy to fly except long spool time. Needs refueling on long flights. Download with an installer here.
    • Howard 500 Easy for piston engine pilots. Best climber. Tail-dragger. Performance tails off at altitude. Poorest frame rates. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • C-119 Boxcar Easiest to fly. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
      • Re-engined (French) variant: Faster. Normal climb rates.
      • Normal engine variants: Slower. Half the climb rate so gets left behind on short-medium length flights.

Comparative flat-out speeds:

Happy landings,
    Lazer

please visit my Onedrive here:
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Reconsidering an earlier idea, spontaneously voiced in a group flight, I’m not going to be publishing recipes typical of where we’re flying with the idea of preparing these dishes and eating them before or even during the flight. This is for several reasons, but mostly because no one else would bother to cook them, and it would take me far too long to write them out.

That said, we’re currently journeying through the home of one of my favorite dishes: the dhansak. This tasty complex dish is simultaneously sweet, hot and spicy and a little sour, has very many ingredients, is fairly involved to make, hard to get right and easy to get wrong. It’s very likely you’ve never had a good dhansak in the United States. The dish is Persian in origin – and that’s where we end our journey tonight – but its home has extended through Pakistan to Gujarat – where we were last week.

In Britain, I always used to test out a new (to me) Indian restaurant by ordering a dhansak. It’s a real challenge for a chef. If they did it well, it was a good sign, and I’d return another time and order whatever was the chef’s special.

Another dish from this area that you are more likely to have eaten is the biryani. This is a drier rice dish and it’s much easier to get right. This higher chance of success means if I ever did share a recipe with you, it would be for a biryani, not a dhansak! It’s still fairly time consuming to make, with several components cooked at different stages, but each part of the recipe is much less complicated than a dhansak. It also comes in many varieties, more so than the dhansak which really only varied significantly after the Bangladeshi diaspora, so biryani recipes can be more easily selected and adjusted according to personal taste.

Bon appétit!

Comment

Very interesting sounding dishes Storm! I've always loved exotic foods, especially the spicy ones (as long as they don't contain bugs, balls, or brains lol)

A reminder for tonight's journey to beautiful Chahbahar:
      We will gather our fleet of cargo props at Jinnah Intl., Pakistan (OPKC) @ 9pm eastern for this Back in Time vacation trip.

Along the way, be prepared for some Alexander the Great trivia. And remember: sometimes nobody knows!

Hope to see everyone there!
      Happy landings,
      Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Flying the C133, Sunrise at Karachi, and in formation with Lazerbolt's C130...

Comment

Lined up at the last airport.

Comment

there was a lot of haze...so not so many good pics. Here's a few though
            http://imgbox.com/g/Uoi7TiCd4a

Comment

Here are some pictures of the flight. http://imgbox.com/g/GBKr85cYvF

Comment

I had to add these because I never knew how to before and I just learned by viewing Storm's post.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X