Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAY OF THE DUDE - A celebration of the deeply casual (DOWNLOADS REQUIRED)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAY OF THE DUDE - A celebration of the deeply casual (DOWNLOADS REQUIRED)

You may not have seen the movie. If you did see it, you may not have liked it. In fact, many people didn't like it when it was released, and that's cool, that's cool. Nevertheless, it became a cult classic and in due course even spawned a religion called Dudeism.

You may well think Dudeism is just a parody. Sure, some people do, but, yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. Seems a whole lot of folks take it more seriously, and they still have fun. Indeed, a wiser fellah than myself once said that Dudeism is "essentially a modernized form of Taoism stripped of all of its metaphysical and medical doctrines." So, well... aw, lost my train of thought here.

Anyway, March 6th - the Day of the Dude - is the annual high holiday of Dudeism, on account of that being when the movie was first released, back in 1998. Seems like you don't have to be a Dudeist to get involved - they're easygoing about that - and that's cool. So what better way to celebrate than to loaf around the Dude's home city, Los Angeles, take in the sights, break open a few oat sodas, and abide.

Aircraft
    Slow and relaxing. If it can do much more than 80 knots, it's probably too fast. A J-3 Cub is fine, or a Curtiss Jenny or Corben Baby Ace. Blimps and zeppelins are cool as they travel with Dude-like economy of effort. Flight lead will be in a White Russian, specifically an Aviatika-MAI-890, a Russian ultralight biplane, modeled by Tim Conrad, downloaded from rikoooo, and modded by Storm (see banner pic), but fly what you like that's slow and relaxing.

Model matching
    Required download (1 of 2): Whatever aircraft you intend to fly, download and install the special model matching file (so you can see those who are flying the White Russian in either an Aviatika or a Moth).

Cruise
    60 knots at no more than 2000 feet.

Flight plan
    64CL* > PIPME > KSMO (via Venice, home to the Dude's bungalow home).
    KSMO > MACOP > KBUR (via Jackie Treehorn's house in Hollywood Hills).
    KBUR > KEGGS > KSMO (yes, again)(via Hollywood Star Lanes bowling alley).
    KSMO > CA99** (along the coast to the party at Malibu beach).
    There are several other places to see en route. And if there's time at the end, those that want to leave the beach party can visit AFC2 (3.7 nmi at 304° from CA99).
    You can download the flight plan .PLN file for your GPS here.

* If 64CL is too small or crowded for you, try starting from KCPM or KTOA instead. They're less than 5 miles from 64CL and you can join us overhead.
    ** See Scenery below.

Scenery (it really ties the flight together)
    Required download (2 of 2): "FSX Acceleration – Scenery Malibu California 2016" This is fictional scenery for several fictional airports, including CA99. But we're still going there. If you're not sure how to install it, ask a friend. (If you don't download and install it, you're gonna land in the ocean.)

If you're a Plan-G user, rebuild its FSX database after installing this scenery. Yeah, it takes ten minutes, but that'll give you time for a beverage.

NOTE TO FTX GLOBAL VECTOR USERS! Switch off vector after the second landing at KSMO, in preparation for the last leg to Malibu. (Uncheck ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ, ORBX!VECTOR_APT, ORBX!VECTOR_CVX and ORBX!VECTOR_EXX in your Scenery Library.)

Server
    SimLink.

Weather
    Fair. (No one wants to tear their mind on a jagged sky.)

During the flight
    Lebowski references are encouraged, but keep your mind limber and check it's always clean and civilized for our younger folks.
    The clouds above us join and separate,
    The breeze in the courtyard leaves and returns.
    Life is like that, so why not relax?
    Who can stop us from celebrating?

~ attributed in the Tao of the Dude to the Sage of Tea, Lu Yu
    but it may instead have been by Song dynasty poet Lu You.

Some maps and stuff follow in the next post.

Abide!
    Reverend Storm

How appropriate man! Makes me think back to the 60's when I had no clue what laid back and casual really was. It took me getting into my 60's until I could almost understand it. But what the heck, I'm game.

-Coast
    "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Download the required scenery here (essential).

Download the required model matching file here (essential).

Download the flight plan here.

Flight plan in tabular form:

Flight map:

Airport maps:
      Last edited by Storm; March 6, 2016, 11:39 PM. Reason: More Big Lebowski landmarks on Flight Map (purple stars now numbered).

Comment

The White Russian (the Russian ultralight biplane, Aviatika-MAI-890) is nice to fly if you install my latest mods for it, updated to version 2. This update (a) makes for a very much easier install, and (b) allows the plane to perform more smoothly (and cruise now at 60 kts). Besides, I missed a section out of v1 of the mod, so it wouldn't have worked properly, and if you have version 1 of my mod, download and overwrite it with version 2. :uncomfortableness:

I'm flying it because of its origin and color, of course, and because of its superb in-flight visibility for the pilot. I don't expect I or anyone else will fly it often, so for this flight you'll see me as a Tiger Moth with its tail off the ground (because of model matching)!

There are so many slow and relaxing aircraft good for this flight, I'll probably be the only one flying the White Russian. And that's cool. However, if you'd like to try it yourself sometime, you should download the base model and apply v2 of my mod.
        Last edited by Storm; March 1, 2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Found an interesting website about the History of the Santa Municipal Airport some time ago when I was doing research for the Gooney Bird Flights.

http://www.smgov.net/departments/airport/history.aspx

-Coast
          "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

There are now 2 required downloads. As well as the scenery, there is a SimLink model matching file that allows White Russian fliers to be seen. Please see the opening post for details (highlighted in red).

Comment

Reminder! Bring your Cub, Blimp, Jenny, Moth, ultralight etc to 64CL, 9pm departure. Ensure you have both Scenery and Model matching downloads installed. Here are some appropriate Type Codes:

Comment

Here are my photos and thanks for the flight Storm

http://imgur.com/a/WizSP

My Favorite:

[IMG]http://173.83.96.30/stuff/images/A2A/banner-n7048p.png[/IMG]
                [COLOR="#006400"][B][I]Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself![/I][/B][/COLOR]
                [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]✈️Youtube:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw[/URL]

Comment

a few screenshots I took: http://imgur.com/a/GYkUh

Comment

Please click on the pics + F11 for full-size.

Comment

Great casual flight tonight dudes. Here's a couple of snaps:

Happy landings,
                      Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X