Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the World Lap 4 -- Episode 11: Norway Fjords --

Hi pilots! Time to hop in that Herky-bird for another adventure Back in Time!

Due to recent temporal fluxuations in Norway HQ has instructed us to repair the damage using the Singularity Drive.

Scenery files:

Thursdays flightplan is as follows:

Flesland Norway departure (ENBR)
    Haukasen Norway (ENSG)
    Roros Norway (ENRO)
    Sundsval-Harnosand Sweden (ESNN)

A flightplan .PLN file for this flight can be found here:
    http://1drv.ms/1O4aN5s

This flight will take place in classic FSX, but feel free to follow along in steam!

As always with these Around the World flights the preferred aircraft is the timeless Captain sim C130 Hercules, but feel free to use any cargo prop that can maintain 250 KIAS at around 20,000 ft. Please do Not bring a jetliner to this event because they stick out like a sore thumb and are a distraction.

-------------------------------------------
    Not sure what to fly?

For those who don't have or don't want to fly the C-130, Storm was kind enough to document which are the best planes for these "Around the World" cargo flights. This should help you decide.

• An-12 Most similar to C-130. Most extras (airbrake, autothrottle, paradrop). Russian annotations. Most difficult to fly.
    • An-32 Most frame-rate friendly. Best cockpit model. Easy to fly except long spool time. Needs refueling on long flights.
    • Howard 500 Easy for piston engine pilots. Best climber. Tail-dragger. Performance tails off at altitude. Poorest frame rates.
    • C-119 Boxcar Easiest to fly.
      • Re-engined (French) variant: Faster. Normal climb rates.
      • Normal engine variants: Slower. Half the climb rate so gets left behind on short-medium length flights.

Comparative flat-out speeds:

Comparative Framerate Friendliness Indices:

Happy landings,
    Lazer

please visit my Onedrive here:
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

NOrWAY! I cant wait!

Comment

In the Fjords of Norway , this is going to be great . :welcoming:

Comment

Storm has once again uncovered a great free alternative to the C-130. Its the Boeing C-97G Stratofreighter and is available here from Rikooo:
        http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/52/773

Its very nice and even comes with an installer!
        Happy landings,
        Lazer

Comment

I shall indeed be flying the C-97 Stratofreighter, on Thursday and probably for the foreseeable future on Lazer's flights.

Some details:
          • The model is by Manfred Jahn et al. (Jahn did the superb C-47 many of us fly.)
          • This July 2015 edition is not the final release. For example, the flight engineer's panel does not work yet. Use the Monitor (shift+4) instead.
          • The installer will also install into Steam and P3D, as well as Boxed/Classic we normally use for these flights.
          • You can see the C-97's maximum speed vs. altitude performance compared to other aircraft in the graph below.
          • Download size = 89 Mbytes
          • Install size FSX classic = 220 Mbytes (4 models and liveries)
          • A Stratotanker variant is included.
          • Read the Wikipedia article for real-life history.
          • Range and endurance (tested at 250 kts and 20,000 ft) = around 2,800 nmi and 8½ hours.
          • Autopilot? Yes, on Monitor.
          • Autothrottle? Yes, on Monitor. Edit autothrottle_max_rpm=1000 (from 90) in aircraft.cfg.
          • STOL performance? Yes, especially on landing if reverse thrust used.

Some recommendations:
          • Read all the documentation. There's a Document folder and lots of text files dotted around everywhere!
          • You may want to move the GPS from shift+7. If you do, do NOT remove any other WindowXX, though you can shift them around/renumber them. (You may think you can remove them as they just flash, but they're needed for the Monitor.) You may also want to resize the GPS.
          • You will use the Monitor (shift+4) all of the time!
            • You can control many things from the Monitor, even the pitot heat, lights and ramp animations.
            • Keep the mixture = .083 at all altitudes for perfect fuel-air.
            • To allow reverse thrust to be used, it must first be enabled on the Monitor (middle-mouse click on REV) and armed/disarmed with water rudder (!) and then given some throttle. Only use for a very short time on ground roll! And remember to disarm it immediately after use. (The enabling can be done once at the start of a sequence of flights.)
            • There are placards and help on the Monitor too. It's worth thoroughly exploring.
              Placard speeds are Overspeed = 300, Gear = 200, Landing lights = 148, Flaps 188 down to 155.
          • Watch the loading! Default includes quite a lot of cargo.
          • For a typical Lazer flight, you may find you'll only need 25% fuel with zero cargo. That makes the C-97 more maneuverable and reduces the landing speed.
          • To calculate Vref/Vat (your final approach speed as you cross the threshold), use the following rule of thumb:
            • Vref = 95 knots + 1 knot for each 5% fuel load + 1 knot for each 2000 lbs of cargo.
              Examples:
              • Typical Lazer flight set-up: Vref = 100 knots (zero cargo, 25% fuel).
              • Maximum gross weight: Vref = 125 knots (20,000 lbs cargo, 100% fuel).
          • Read all the documentation again!

Comment

Thanks again Storm, for all the great info on this ac. Cant wait to see it in the sky on Thursday!
            Happy landings,
            Lazer

Comment

For what it's worth, one of the surviving C-97s is in Colorado Springs, just 60 miles south of me. It's been converted to a restaurant! Google Street View + Restaurant website (make sure your sound is on!)

Comment

Here's a neat video of this very same restaurant-plane that Oz Flyer shared with me and I thought I'd share as well... Wonder where the kitchen is...

Happy landings,
                Lazer

Comment

To: All Airmen

Re: Special expectations for mission on 07 Jan 2016

This mission has a potential to disrupt historical weather patterns. VIP guests will accompanying the flight to ensure the repair services provided by airmen are successful at keeping weather disruption to a minumum.

• What this really means is that I am going to fly a learjet & have Active Sky running on the server.
                  • Expect clear skies until the last stop (ESNN).
                    • At ESNN expect limited visibility from low cloud cover if around 1500 feet AGL. Below 1500 feet AGL visibility should be over 5 miles.
                    • There is no ILS. However there is a VOR on the field (113.1).
                    • Server time is already been reset to +9 GMT

Update: Skyvector done me wrong! In FSX I see that there is an ILS for each of the runways at ESNN.
                  Last edited by Karl; January 7, 2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Some of the guys have had a whip-round Karl, and we've clubbed together to buy you a decent flight planner. So throw away Skyvector and redeem your gift voucher here.

Comment

Ha nice ya that is the best one for the money. :applause:
                      [IMG]http://173.83.96.30/stuff/images/A2A/banner-n7048p.png[/IMG]
                      [COLOR="#006400"][B][I]Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself![/I][/B][/COLOR]
                      [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]✈️Youtube:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                        Some of the guys have had a whip-round Karl, and we've clubbed together to buy you a decent flight planner. So throw away Skyvector and redeem your gift voucher here.
                        Sadly I already have it. I just didn't use it. I was actually looking at weather and used the rest of the data. I keep forgetting that it's not as reliable outside of the US.

Comment

The point is not that Skyvector isn't as reliable outside of the US. The point is that it's not reliable inside FSX.

Comment

Wheeeew..... Yeah .... Yeah... Yeah.... :devilish:

Comment

I'll be trying to follow on FSD
                              Here is the model matching files for C-130 or other four engine prop with instructions.

It is bit of a test for future possible FSD flights.
                              H L
                              mike404

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X