Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VATSIM test

This event will be a test of the VATSIM network for use as a multiplatform multiplayer connection method.

For those that are not familiar, VATSIM is a large network of flightsim enthusiasts that has been active for many, many years. Their primary focus is providing ATC operations. 99% of the pilots are flying tubeliners. Their ATC operations will not affect this event as we’ll be flying VFR.

Some of you may have heard of or had unpleasant experience with the controllers on VATSIM. I can only say to those incidents that VATSIM is comprised of people just like our group. There are a wide variety of personalities there just as we have. None of that should be an issue for the purpose of this test of their network.

Setting up is pretty straight forward. Register, wait a couple of days at most for an ID/password & install their software. It’s very much like FSCloud in that respect. I would personally recommend using the “VPilot” software. It is the easiest to set up and use.

As far as where and what we are going to fly I will make that decision the night of the flight. Our friends at Boston Virtual have recently switched from the direct connect method to VATSIM so I would expect something in the New England area.

Links for VATSIM:

VATSIM Signup Page: https://cert.vatsim.net/vatsimnet/signup.html
    VATSIM software Page: http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/software

Tenetive Flight Plan: Download Here

Comment

BOSTON ATC has a Event tonight - "Regional Circuit: KBGR-KBTV - 9/22/2015 8:00 PM fully staff two airports, providing complete ATC coverage"
      mike404

Comment

We completed the test.
        • The lag time between actual movement and observed movement by other players was 4-5 seconds
        • In straight & level flight the movements were universally smooth
          • In turns or other similar sudden changes of direction the rubberbanding was noticeable but not too bad according to those in attendance.

• Those was extensive discussion about the ATC side of things.
          • A couple of folks were clearly not familiar with airspaces and ATC communications
          • A couple of folks were experienced with both real world operations and VATSIM operations.
          • I know from past observations that it is rare that one of our group flights would need any form of contact with any ATC. Even if it did, a simple flight plan for the "group" would suffice.

Next week we will look at DAFSIM. Be sure to look at that event for details.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
        Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X