Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GREAT 48! Grand tour of US states. Week #48: Washington - END OF THE LINE!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREAT 48! Grand tour of US states. Week #48: Washington - END OF THE LINE!

S.T.O.L. aircraft through the Evergreen State. Ensure you download the required scenery. And vote in the How far have we flown? poll! :eagerness:

Having started last September at the easternmost airport in the US Lower 48 (Eastport Municipal, Maine, KEPM), this will take us to the westernmost (Quillayute, Washington, KUIL).

We'll have visited every state in the Great 48, so this will be the End of the Line.

Week 48: Washington
    KSPB>39P>2S1>KHQM>KUIL

FLIGHT PLAN
    • All legs are GPS direct, except near to 39P where we avoid terrain.
    • We may change course on approach, according to surface wind.
    • Only land at 2S1 if you have the right scenery and the right aircraft. Otherwise land at either WA69 or 4WA9.
    Download the PLN flight plan file here.
    Flight plan in tabular form, flight maps and airport diagrams here.

CRUISE
    Speed: 140 knots
    Altitude: 3,000 ft

AIRCRAFT
    Fixed wing: Short Take-Off and Landing (S.T.O.L.) only with wingspan less than 50 ft.
    Rotorcraft: Rotor diameter less than 50 ft only; at 2S1 land directly on far SE helipad.

Aircraft with wing/rotor span >50 ft must not land at 2S1. Use WA69 or 4WA9 instead.
    (Fixed wing aircraft check your wingspan in aircraft.cfg; look for wing_span. Units = ft.)

Suggested airplanes:
    • Default: Maule Orion.
    • Payware: Aerosoft de Havilland Beaver.
    • Freeware: Pilatus PC-6 (download here or here). As used on edd's alpine flight.
    • Freeware ex-Storm's OneDrive: Beriev Be-103 Snipe, BD-5, Nardi Riviera, Rutan Quickie and the Stingray.
    I'll be flying the Snipe, red livery.

RESTRICTIONS
    STOL only.
    Wingspans of more than 50ft must not land at 2S1.
    Pilots without Orbx 2S1 scenery must not land at 2S1.

WHICH VERSION, CLASSIC OR STEAM?
    Flight lead will be in Classic/Boxed, but you can fly in Classic, Steam or P3D.

WEATHER
    We will use live weather. You can use live server weather. Or you can use a client-side real-weather engine such as Active Sky Next (payware) or FSrealWX (freeware).
    Expect very light winds, most west to northwest, no rain and partly cloudy 12-20,000ft.
    Expect rwy 33 @ KSPB, rwy 25 @ 39P, rwy 35 @ 2S1, rwy 24 @ KHQM, rwy 22 @ KUIL.
    I will be using Active Sky Next.

SCENERY
    ESSENTIAL SCENERY DOWNLOADS
    Orbx FREE Pacific Northwest Demo (Version 2). Download here. Includes KHQM.
    Orbx FREE na scenery 2S1 Vashon Island. Download here. Includes 2S1 and WA69.
    Highly recommended: FSgenesis US landclass (inexpensive payware).
    FTX Global 1.30 and Vector 1.20 good but optional (expensive payware).
    Vector users please see recommendations here.
    End of the line music video in next post! :eagerness:

End of the line (music video)

Comment

Flight plan, flight maps and airport diagrams.

Download the PLN flight plan file here.

Flight plan in tabular form:

Flight maps:

Airport diagrams:

Comment

Smoke alert! Due to a large number of wildfires in Washington state, there may be some impact on flight visibility, though probably not as much as we found during the first half of our Oregon flight.

The nearest wildfires are:
        • Cougar Creek. 40 nmi right leg 1. 35,000 acres. 15% contained. Started Aug 10 by lightning.
        • Paradise**. 20 nmi right leg 4, 2,600 acres. 40% contained. Started May 15th by lightning.

** The Paradise Fire is in the western part of the Olympia National Forest. The western slopes of the Olympic Mountains trap moisture so effectively that this area normally has the wettest climate in the lower 48 states. However, Inciweb says this about the Paradise Fire:
        While it may seem unusual to have a fire of this size burning in a rain forest, this is a reflection of severe conditions - the driest spring in over 100 years and a snowpack that was only 14% of average.

Data from Washington Smoke Information and Inciweb.

Comment

Reminder! Bring your 140 kt STOL aircraft to KSPB for a 9pm departure this evening.
          Scenery! Have it installed.
          Trivia! What have the following to do with our flight tonight?

Answers and guesses during the flight itself!

Real-life airport reference guides:Thanks Bic! :eagerness:

Washington wildfire photos (with three firefighting aircraft shots):
          Last edited by Storm; August 26, 2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Comment

My screenshots can be found here. Thanks again, Storm, for this great series of flights, even though I wasn't along until around the end. I really enjoyed the trivia, locations, and conversation during these trips. I look forward to your next series.

Comment

Thanks for all the fantastic flights storm! Here are my pictures: http://imgbox.com/g/OohXlK2bYr
                Last edited by Razor; August 27, 2015, 10:43 PM.
                [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RrDpHEG.jpg[/IMG]
                [url]www.fsxblueangels.com[/url]

Comment

End of the line Snipe snaps:

Happy landings,
                  Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Comment

My pictures from tonight's flight: http://imgur.com/a/DC5kf

Comment

Here are the pics of this great flight . Thank you Storm for this series of flights in the USA. http://imgbox.com/g/eMs1Pi3pob

Comment

Fun stuff, thanks for letting me fly with you guys (only if it was 20 minutes).

Comment

Great 48 with Storm was the best thing to happen to me in the last 12 months. Seriously. Thank you my friend, on behalf of all the regulars whom you've delighted with your preparation and your execution of this group flight series.
                          Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Guys, great pics! Thank you. :eagerness: And I am deeply touched by your comments. Means a huge amount to me.

I've had a fun time putting together these flights. I learned a lot about my country, even though I had to leave out more than I put in, and I realize I only scratched the surface. It truly is a Great 48, and you've all made me feel welcome and part of it.

Comment

Alaskans refer to the 48 contiguous states as the South 48.

Makes me wonder if we should do a short series (2-3 sessions?) for Alaska. Maybe a session for the Anchorage area, another for the Southeast (the portion of Alaska common to the west coast of British Columbia) and maybe the final session for the Aleutian chain.

These three sessions would not be contiguous ...the connections would be possible but we would need to chose fast planes to make the connections and those planes would be unsuitable for the smaller airports we would want to visit. More fun would be amphibians similar to what folks are flying in that country.

I'd help put this together but don't feel qualified to do this solo.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X