Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazer's Around the World ---Season 5--- Episode 8: Lucy - 3.2 million BCE

Hi pilots! Looks like its time to hop in those majestic cargo-props for another adventure around the World!

Thursday night H.Q. is sending us back 3.2 million years to the Awash Valley in Ethiopia, so that we can observe LUCY (more on her during the flight) in her natural environment.
    :excitement:

Tonight's Flight Plan:

Aba Segud. Departure (HAJM)
    Bole Intl (HAAB)
    Dire Dawa Intl (HADR)
    Ambouli Afar Triangle (HDAM)

A Flightplan .PLN file for this flight can be found here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kE?usp=sharing

This flight will take place in JoinFS.

Please connect to JoinFS using the AU (Australian) server

AIRCRAFT
    The preferred aircraft is the C-130 Hercules. Alternatives include the C-97 Stratofreighter, the Antonov An-12 and An-32, the C-133 Cargomaster, the Howard 500 and the Boxcar - or any cargo prop that can do 250 kts IAS at around 12,000 ft.
    No Jets.

-------------------------------------------
    Not sure what to fly?

For those who don't have or don't want to fly the C-130, Storm was kind enough to document which are the best planes for these "Around the World" cargo flights. This should help you decide.
    • C-97 Stratofreighter Popular, quality freeware that comes with an installer (v2) available here, or without an installer (v3) but with extra models and separate optional extra mods and liveries here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • C-133 Cargomaster Largest aircraft with massive payload. Easy to fly (with practice). Keeps up with the C-130. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section; install both v1 + cumulative v1.3 upgrade). Warning: a small number of pilots have frame rate problems when flying this aircraft.
    • An-12 Most similar to C-130. Most extras (airbrake, autothrottle, paradrop). Russian annotations. Most difficult to fly. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • An-32 Most frame-rate friendly. Best cockpit model. Easy to fly except long spool time. Needs refueling on long flights. Download with an installer here.
    • Howard 500 Easy for piston engine pilots. Best climber. Tail-dragger. Performance tails off at altitude. Poorest frame rates. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
    • C-119 Boxcar Easiest to fly. Download it here (look in the Cargo props section).
      • Re-engined (French) variant: Faster. Normal climb rates.
      • Normal engine variants: Slower. Half the climb rate so gets left behind on short-medium length flights.

Comparative flat-out speeds:

Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive
    Starts
    December 1, 2017 02:00 AM
    Ends
    December 1, 2017 04:00 AM
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

X-Plane pilots: Flight plan: Lazer5-08.fms: https://is.gd/StormsFlightPlans
    Both PLN and FMS plans can also be found in our Discord #group-flight-info channel

Comment

Here are Pics in Fsx flight for Lucy by Lazerbolt. http://imgbox.com/g/q4BXbaQqK2

Comment

Just three pics from my Piaggio P.180 Avanti in X-Plane 11, from lush high ground to low desert. (Click on the pics for full size and detail.)

Comment

If any FSX/P3D pilot would like to see me when I'm flying the Avanti in XP11 on one of Lazer's flight, you can download a freeware version with a reasonable external model here that looks like this. The Italian military/Esercito liveries are especially appropriate as they're a major user of the Avanti for passenger and cargo/freight. (It's a better choice than substituting with an An-32.)

However, I DON'T recommend you actually fly this FSX/P3D freeware version yourself as (a) it''s very noisy (props in turbulent air), (b) it flies unrealistically slowly, topping out at only 245 kts at 5000 ft and barely managing 220 kts at 20000 ft, and (c) the interior is rather ragged and (d) instrument lighting glare makes it impossible to fly at night.

There's also a FSX/P3D payware version for around $17 (at the time of writing) but I can't comment on how good, bad or realistic it is or whether it constitutes good value.

The XP11 Avanti performs well enough for Lazer's flights but it's not without its quirks. Its extended landing gear fades when viewed at a distance, it requires a special taxiing technique (!) that's also needed for landing rollouts, and I've also felt the need to retrofit it with a speedbrake indicator light. It's downloadable from here.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X