Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the World/ Back in Time continues- Episode #52: Mapping the Savage Paradise- 1932 Papua New Guinea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the World/ Back in Time continues- Episode #52: Mapping the Savage Paradise- 1932 Papua New Guinea

Hi pilots! Looks like its time for another trip back in time in those majestic Herky-birds!

By the mid 1800's European missionaries and traders began to settle the islands of Papua New Guinea, but mostly limited their presence to the accessible coastal areas. The inland highland region, thought to be too inhospitable to inhabit, wasn't even explored until the mid 1930's! Explorers in search of gold instead discovered over one million people, living in fertile mountain valleys and in cultures that hadn't changed since the Stone Age!

Due to the extreme territoriality of the tribes (many of whom are headhunters and cannibals) large portions of Papua New Guinea remained unmapped up until the 1960's!

Our mission on Thursday night will be to set the Singularity drive to the year 1932 and map this portion of Papua New Guinea.

Thursdays flightplan is as follows:

Sentani, Jayapura Departure (WAJJ)
    Boram, Wewak (AYWK)
    Momote, Momote (AYMO)
    Kavieng, Kavieng (AYKV)

This flight will take place in classic FSX, but feel free to follow along in steam!

As always with these Around the World flights the preferred aircraft is the timeless Captain sim C130 Hercules, but feel free to use any cargo prop that can maintain 260 KIAS at around 20,000 ft. Please do Not bring a jetliner to this event because they stick out like a sore thumb and are a distraction. Many suitable free planes are available from Storms skydrive including the excellent Antinov AN-12, AN-32 and the Howard 500.

Please click this link for a flightplan and handy kneeboard for this flight:
    http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post17842

-------------------------------------------
    Not sure what to fly?

Storm was kind enough to document which are the best planes from his OneDrive for these "Around the World" cargo flights. This should help you decide.

Here's a link to Storms Onedrive:http://tinyurl.com/storms-onedrive

There are 4 suitable airplanes. The An-32 is in Modern oddities. The others are in the Vintage Hangar:
    • An-12 Most similar to C-130. Most extras (airbrake, autothrottle, paradrop). Russian annotations. Most difficult to fly.
    • An-32 Most frame-rate friendly. Best cockpit model. Easy to fly except long spool time. Needs refueling on long flights.
    • Howard 500 Easy for piston engine pilots. Best climber. Tail-dragger. Performance tails off at altitude. Poorest frame rates.
    • C-119 Boxcar Easiest to fly.
      • Re-engined (French) variant: Faster. Normal climb rates.
      • Normal engine variants: Slower. Half the climb rate so gets left behind on short-medium length flights.

Comparative flat-out speeds:

Comparative Framerate Friendliness Indices:

Hope to see everyone there!

Happy landings,
    Lazer

please visit my Onedrive here:
    Happy landings,
    Lazer

Please visit my Onedrive here:

Here's a handy kneeboard and flightplan file to use on Thursdays flight:

Click here for an informative kneeboard:

Here is a handy flightplan file to drop into your in-game GPS:

Happy landings,
    Lazer

Comment

Just a reminder for tonights flight through deepest, darkest Papua New Guinea:

We will gathering at Sentani, Jayapura (WAJJ) @ 9pm EDT in our cargo props for this special cartography quest.
      The headhunters are very bad in this area so try not to stray from the pack and lose your head!

Happy landings,
      Lazer

Comment

A few pics of Lazerbolt and myself, not some of my greatest photos.

Comment

Some pictures of another awesome flight. http://imgbox.com/g/OiNIvmiGNl

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X