Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coast's Old-Time Nostalgia Flight (1953 Classic Movie- Island in the Sky)- Part 1 - Training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coast's Old-Time Nostalgia Flight (1953 Classic Movie- Island in the Sky)- Part 1 - Training

Well folks it appears it's time again for one the all time great airplane movie's of the past to form the basis of another old-time nostalgia group flight.

The movie is the 1953 aviation movie classic "Island in the Sky" starring John Wayne.
    Here's the plot excerpt from Wikipedia --- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island...281953_film%29

P L O T

"The film follows a pilot and crew of a World War II-era Douglas C-47 Skytrain (the military version of the DC-3) who try to survive after a forced emergency landing in the uncharted wildlands near the Quebec-Labrador border. The pilot, Dooley (John Wayne), is a former airline pilot, who, like many others, was pressed into duty hauling war supplies across the northern route to England. Icy conditions force the aircraft to land, and with the difficulties of navigating far from settled country, they can provide only an approximate position to rescuers.

After finding a frozen lake for a landing field, while waiting for rescue, Dooley must keep his men alive in the extreme winter cold with temperatures plummeting to -70°F. Meanwhile, at Air Transport Headquarters, Col. Fuller (Walter Abel) gathers fellow airmen (played by Lloyd Nolan, James Arness, Andy Devine and Paul Fix), who are determined to find the downed crew before hunger and the winter do them in. Wellman provides internal narrative for the stoic characters. There is tension and a fear-filled meeting among the search pilots when no one is quite sure about what to do, since a wrong decision could doom the missing crew."

* The aircraft: C-47 and or DC-3's.

* The search planning: Just as in the movie we will assemble in the group flight channel and plan a search pattern based on the last known information about our lost aircraft. Remember this will be a real team effort, very similar to those many others do daily.

* Last known information about our lost aircraft:
    I will fill this in this week after seeing the movie.

This is going to a different type of group flight since we will be building out flight plan in real-time together in the group flight channel.

NOTE:
    The script was based on a true story about a flight on 3 February 1943, although, unlike the story of the film, the co-pilot did not die. In his autobiography Fate Is the Hunter — on which the movie of the same name is very loosely based — Gann related the true story and his role as one of the search pilots while serving with Air Transport Command at Presque Isle Airfield, Maine.

This is an experiment in different type of group flight that could either be a lot of fun or a flop. How it turns out will depend mostly on how all the participants contribute to its success. Otherwise this could the first and the last of this type of group flight.

Thanks all in advance.

-Coast

Ground to Air Emergency Code:
    http://www.capitalscouting.org/capit...gency_Code.pdf

PS: I will be talking with Lazur this week to come up with a scenery object for our lost aircraft we can all add via an addon scenery file.
    "Having fun with friends! "

Version 2 (Oct 2013) of Manfred Jahn's excellent C-47 is now on my Skydrive (Vintage Hangar).

P.S. Apparently Coast is deprecating the Basler BT-67, so please keep to DC-3s and C-47s.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
      Version 2 (Oct 2013) of Manfred Jahn's excellent C-47 is now on my Skydrive (Vintage Hangar).

P.S. Apparently Coast is deprecating the Basler BT-67, so please keep to DC-3s and C-47s.
      I for one will be downloading and using this particular FSX aircraft on the group flight and would recommend others do likewise. You can never go wrong with an "FSX Aircraft by Storm".

-Coast

PS: Use of the Basler BT_67 would not be historically appropriate to the era that this group flight emulates.

Comment

S E A R C H
        P L A N N I N G
        :
        Island in the Sky Group Flight (The ISLAND is your Aircraft!)

P A R T 1: Training (Week 1)

A. Aircraft Type Training

OBJECTIVES:
        1. Form self-directed teams of 3 or 4 aircraft
        2. Fly the C-47 properly without crashing
        3. Fly in a loose formation
        4. Follow a flight path as a unit.

Please download and install the C-47 from Storm's Skydrive if you enjoy a challenge, or you can use the the default DC-3. Storm's version is a much better example of the C-47, but it is definitely more difficult to fly. All our training flights will be centered on Goose Bay Labrador CYYR.

We will be using the navigation aids available in the 1940's such as VOR's and/or NDB's. We will be flying relatively low so as to make out objects on the ground. The lead aircraft will be responsible for the navigation, and the other aircraft for the search observation and spotting.

I have decided that we will work out of the Goose Bay Labrador CYYR airfield instead of the Presque Island, Maine KPQI airfield because it is closed to crash location. I have prepared a training mission which will originate at Goose Bay CYYR, and end at Churchill Falls CZUM. I have also prepared a flight plan you could use containing many all the necessary waypoints, but it can be summarized as follows, fly along the Churchill River to Churchill Falls. I reversed my original flight plan due to the lack of sufficient parking places at Churchill Falls..

The VOR frequency Goose Bay is 117.3 Mhz. You can use it if you get lost.

Training Flight Plan
        : http://sdrv.ms/1ba4LgT

B. Search Training

OBJECTIVES
        :

1. Learn how to execute a course change as a group from requests provided via TS.

Well this part of the "Training" is going to interesting.

The concept of "Search and Rescue" begins with the "Search". if you can't find them, you can't rescue them. Finding anything in the wilderness we will be flying over by looking for it is going to be nearly impossible. Even when we place some rather large and obviously scenery objects in our search area, the chances of finding them is going to depend in how well our search techniques and methods work.

The reality is we will need to coordinate our efforts with the crew on the ground to have any chance of success. This means paying close attention to any information they can supply to refine our search. We will simulate this by having someone provide direction information to the search aircraft when they get close to the training "crash location" somewhere along your flight path.

We will form 3 or 4 member teams of aircraft at Goose Bay, and each will depart at four minute intervals and follow the Churchill River. Each team must select a team lead aircraft, and decide what type of formation and how close they will fly together. Somewhere in mid-flight your team will be vectored to a training target, possibly multiple times. Each team will try to get reasonably close to the training target before being directed to proceed to Churchill Falls.
        Last edited by Coast; February 3, 2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post

While flying this aircraft in FREE FLIGHT from Goose Bay my FSX stopped working, screen frozen, with no error messages. Grabbed the following from the event viewer ...

Log Name: Application
          Source: Application Hang
          Date: 2/3/2014 2:33:34 PM
          Event ID: 1002
          Task Category: (101)
          Level: Error
          Keywords: Classic
          User: N/A
          Computer: REDACTED
          Description:
          The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61637.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
          Process ID: e00
          Start Time: 01cf2111c131f249
          Termination Time: 96
          Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
          Report Id:

Event Xml:
          <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
          <System>
          <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
          <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
          <Level>2</Level>
          <Task>101</Task>
          <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
          <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-03T19:33:34.000000000Z" />
          <EventRecordID>64509</EventRecordID>
          <Channel>Application</Channel>
          <Computer>REDACTED</Computer>
          <Security />
          </System>
          <EventData>
          <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
          <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
          <Data>e00</Data>
          <Data>01cf2111c131f249</Data>
          <Data>96</Data>
          <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
          <Data>
          </Data>
          <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
          </EventData>
          </Event>
          -Coast

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
          Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X