Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONNIE FLIGHT: Last Commerical Flight - PART 1

Obsolescence

The advent of jet airliners, with the de Havilland Comet, Boeing 707, and Convair 880, rendered the piston-engined Constellation obsolete. The first routes lost to jets were the long overseas routes, but Constellations continued to fly domestic routes. The last scheduled passenger flight of a four-engined piston-engined airliner in the United States was made by a TWA L749 on 11 May 1967 from Philadelphia to Kansas City, MO.Many Constellations continued to serve as fast freighters for years to come.
    SOURCE: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop..._Constellation

The first CONNIE group flight we did last time commemorated the first commercial flight of the Lockheed Constellation from New York to Bermuda. This group flight will commemorate the LAST commercial flight of the Lockheed Constellation from Philadelphia to Kansas City MO. I have decided to break this flight into two portions on two consecutive MONDAYS with a intermediate stop-over at Wright-Patterson AFB. The reason Wright-Patterson AFB was chosen is that on the second flight of the first constellation, Howard Hughes flew to Wright Field to pick up Orville Wright for his last airplane flight.

CONNIE FLIGHT: Last Commercial Flight - PART 1
    :
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9-11 pm Philadelphia to Wright-Patterson

Flight plan: http://sdrv.ms/1aw4dP6

Please note the VOR frequencies in the "Description" column and heading in degrees for navigation usage. Departure from Philadelphia (KPHL) will be on runway 27R. and landing at Wright-Patterson (KFFO) on runway 23R with an ILS of 109.7Mhz at 234°. This will be a early twilight departure and a late twilight landing. We will be flying at about 23,000 ft most of the way.

-Coast
    "Having fun with friends! "

Freeware Connie 749 available on Storm's Skydrive. Seven variants: five liveries including TWA, two with optional Speedpak. Look in "Storm's Vintage Hangar".

This freeware 749 is not quite the quality of the payware 049 used by many on the last Connie group flight, but is perhaps more in keeping with the last commercial flight.

Warning: This download is supplied AS IS with no warranty or support. It is simply part of my personal vintage collection and was copied in full, without modification, from the excellent CalClassics website (and Avsim).

Last edited by Storm; January 17, 2014, 08:13 PM. Reason: There are 7 variants, not 7 liveries. There are 5 liveries and 2 of them are with/without Speedpak.

Comment

Amazing aircraft storm! Quality of them are outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
        Freeware Connie 749 available on Storm's Skydrive. Seven variants: five liveries including TWA, two with optional Speedpak. Look in "Storm's Vintage Hangar".

This freeware 749 is not quite the quality of the payware 049 used by many on the last Connie group flight, but is perhaps more in keeping with the last commercial flight.

Warning: This download is supplied AS IS with no warranty or support. It is simply part of my personal vintage collection and was copied in full, without modification, from the excellent CalClassics website (and Avsim).
        I downloaded and tested this version of the Connie, and noticed only one thing that might cause me not to use it. It permits the use of a Garmin GPS for navigation, which would have not been available in 1967 (Garmin's first product was in 1991). We could always choose not to use it, and still use old style VOR navigation instead. I still plan to add the VOR and ILS frequency information to the existing event posts.

Comment

A bevy of Connies, lining up at Philadelphia (view from KPHL Tower)

Lockheed 749 enroute with con trail (connie trail? )

TWA 2635 at sunset

Comment

We departed in the late afternoon, and flew west into the setting sun as befits this commemoration of the last scheduled passenger flight of a four-engined piston-engined airliner in the United States on 11-May-1967. We landed in the dark with a low ceiling, tired from fighting a fierce head wind that slowed us down considerably. But we all enjoyed a great sense of accomplishment in flying the "old way" using VOR navigation and not the GPS.

Part 2 of this flight is next Monday, Jan-27-2014 @ 9:00pm.
            http://msflights.net/forum/showthread.php?1560-CONNIE-FLIGHT-Last-Commerical-Flight-PART-2#

-Coast

Comment

Bravo!!! I will hope to be at the next leg of this majestic flight.
              Greetings from Dale
              Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Originally posted by Sound View Post
                Bravo!!! I will hope to be at the next leg of this majestic flight.
                Looking forward to having you join us on Part 2 of our flight to KC. I have planned a number of other CONNIE FLIGHTS after this, but will probably change to Tuesday night when Storm is ready to host his planned Group Flights on Monday night.

-Coast

Comment

Wright-Patterson is the perfect place for a stopover. That is where you will find the Connie my Dad worked on in the US Air Force. It has the name Columbine III on it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X