X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANNOUNCEMENT: A NEW type of group flight is coming to msFlights in 2014

Coast's Old Time Nostalgia Hops

Let me explain what this really means. It's my attempt to organize group flights around older popular American culture that some of us encountered when we were younger and more naive. As I grow older, and see how many new technologies are flooding into our lives years after year, I have become a little nostalgic for the time when things were simpler, and it took much more effort to do anything.

Don't get me wrong, I understand these new technologies have transformed our culture and society in ways many of us find beneficial. They are here to stay (until replaced by a newer technology), and are almost everywhere you look. Back in the day we embraced first radio and then TV, the same way we now accept computers, smart phones, and Facebook pages today. Looking back I can see that these whiz-bang cutting edge technologies of yesterday have either been transformed by or replaced by something newer (and better?) today.

Sources of inspiration for these group flights include, but are not limited to …..
    1. OLDER TV shows, especially those that were around when each home only had one B&W TV set and rabbit ears,
    2. OLDER movies, especially when movies were on real film, and were only shown in theaters with really BIG screens,
    3. OLDER news events we heard on AM radio, or we saw on over-the-air TV when there was only just a few channels.

Initially, I plan to have one every second/fourth Tuesday of the month at 9 pm ET, starting with Tuesday, January 14, 2014. If there is sufficient interest, I may try to have one every Tuesday, but given the amount of research needed to come up with a meaningful flight plan this may be difficult. Also I would encourage anyone from the msFlights community to submit their idea for a future group as long as it generally meets the intent of the guidelines mentioned above.

Teaser: The first group flight I have planned is based on an old B&W TV show from the 50's. See if you can guess what it is. If you have even more time on your hands, take a stab at letting me know how you might generate a flight plan for it.

-Coast
    Click on the link below for group flight information:
    Last edited by Coast; December 18, 2013, 09:37 PM.
    "Having fun with friends! "

"An old TV show from the 50's is a bit too vague. Could you narrow it a little?

Whirleybirds comes to mind, but that was a series and not too specific as to location or destination.
    Greetings from Dale
    Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

Originally posted by Sound View Post
      "An old TV show from the 50's is a bit too vague. Could you narrow it a little?

Whirleybirds comes to mind, but that was a series and not too specific as to location or destination.
      Good guess, but that's not it. I had planned doing something with Whirleybirds in the future though. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Finally, I'll keep it less specific for now to give others a chance to guess. I will post the source material I used a week before, and flight plan details on the Monday morning before the scheduled Tuesday flight.

-Coast

Comment

More information about the first Old Time Nostalgia Hops on January 14, 2014. The location is somewhere in the Southwest USA.

Well folks, Robert Dunn got the right answer, but I am not going to spoil the fun by disclosing it just yet. Bob did give me some ideas on how to improve the flight plan to better capture the mood and feeling the original TV series. Thanks Bob.

-Coast

Comment

The 3 stooges? No?.......Ok...Bonanza!.......Gunsmoke......Americ an Bandstand....I love lucy?
          [img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0027.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Splithorse View Post
            The 3 stooges? No?.......Ok...Bonanza!.......Gunsmoke......Americ an Bandstand....I love lucy?
            Thanks for "guessing", but no its an old TV show with strong connections to flying/aircraft, so Bonanza and Gunsmoke are a real stretch there Splitlevel.

-Coast

Comment

Does 'Songbird' come to mind?
              Death Valley Days would be cool/hot, and possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Coast View Post
                Coast's Old Time Nostalgia Hops

Let me explain what this really means. It's my attempt to organize group flights around older popular American culture that some of us encountered when we were younger and more naive. As I grow older, and see how many new technologies are flooding into our lives years after year, I have become a little nostalgic for the time when things were simpler, and it took much more effort to do anything.

Don't get me wrong, I understand these new technologies have transformed our culture and society in ways many of us find beneficial. They are here to stay (until replaced by a newer technology), and are almost everywhere you look. Back in the day we embraced first radio and then TV, the same way we now accept computers, smart phones, and Facebook pages today. Looking back I can see that these whiz-bang cutting edge technologies of yesterday have either been transformed by or replaced by something newer (and better?) today.

Sources of inspiration for these group flights include, but are not limited to …..
                1. OLDER TV shows, especially those that were around when each home only had one B&W TV set and rabbit ears,
                2. OLDER movies, especially when movies were on real film, and were only shown in theaters with really BIG screens,
                3. OLDER news events we heard on AM radio, or we saw on over-the-air TV when there was only just a few channels.

Initially, I plan to have one every second/fourth Tuesday of the month at 9 pm ET, starting with Tuesday, January 14, 2014. If there is sufficient interest, I may try to have one every Tuesday, but given the amount of research needed to come up with a meaningful flight plan this may be difficult. Also I would encourage anyone from the msFlights community to submit their idea for a future group as long as it generally meets the intent of the guidelines mentioned above.

Teaser: The first group flight I have planned is based on an old B&W TV show from the 50's. See if you can guess what it is. If you have even more time on your hands, take a stab at letting me know how you might generate a flight plan for it.

-Coast
                All I can think of is Zeppelins. B&W showed the good ol' Zeppelins.

Comment

Flight Scheduled: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:00 PM - 11:00 PM ET
                  Our first Old Time Nostalgia Flight is based on the B&W TV series that ran from 1951 to 1962 called Sky King. I know to many of you that is not only OLD, its' positively ANCIENT, something from your parents era! Well look it up on the internet, it really was a TV series, and one that inspired many older pilots to take up flight. The star was an actor called Kirby Grant, who started out as singer before WW II, but was an aviator during that war. After the war there was great interest in aviation, and the western USA was booming. The producers of the TV series combined those two concepts, and came up with Sky King.
                  The aircraft used in the TV series were first the Cessna T-50 Bobcat, sometimes called the "Bamboo Bomber", which was replaced later by a Cessna 310.

Aircraft:
                  A freeware Cessna T-50 can be found at : http://www.fs-freeware.net/downloads...im-cessna-t-50

A freeware Cessna 310 Q can be found at: http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/page4.html

Many of us already fly this Cessna 310 Q and love it. It was one reason I choose to do a Sky King group flight.
                  Finally, for those who prefer the default FSX aircraft, the Beechcraft Baron 58 could be used.

Flight Plan: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0E60B...510113856E!384
                  Sky, Penny, and Clipper have decided to take a trip up to see some friends in a fairly well known tourist area up north. Download the flight plan and see you at departure time.

PS: The MEF column of the flight plan above indicates the maximum altitude for that segment. So on some segments we will need to climb above 12,3000 ft!

-Coast
                  Last edited by Coast; January 14, 2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I remember a mainstay advertiser for SkyKing was Nabisco, I still remember the jingle. Reach for Nabisco!

Comment

That 310 is an excellent aircraft. Question: nerfed or un-nerfed? You'll recall I dialed back the prop scalar from 1.3 to 1.0 as otherwise the top speed is unrealistic and the acceleration scary! Or do we assume new downloaders will use 1.3 and therefore so should we just this once?
                      Last edited by Storm; January 14, 2014, 11:08 PM. Reason: default thrust_scalar is 1.3, not 1.2.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X