Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Navigation Course (Wednesday October 2nd @ 8pm ET)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Navigation Course (Wednesday October 2nd @ 8pm ET)

Good evening, pilots!

I am starting a series of training courses designed to enhance the knowledge of the community at large and to demonstrate that flying has far more to it than GPS and autopilot. This course is specifically geared towards radio navigation, using both manual flying and autopilot navigation. The course will cover the following topics:
    • What is a VOR?
    • What is a DME?
    • What is the difference between a VOR, VORDME and a VORTAC?
    • Interpreting the HSI
    • How to tune and identify a VOR
    • Flying inbound to and outbound from a VOR
    • Flying using radials
    • Bracketing
    • Finding intersections
    • Flying airways
    • What is an NDB?
    • Interpreting the ADF
    • How to tune and identify an NDB
    • Flying inbound to and outbound from an NDB
    • Flying a DME arc
    • Flying a VOR approach
    • ILS

If you will be participating in this course, please reply to this thread. This will be a group flight and discussion. Any questions may be directed to I. "Axe" Zimmérman in TS3.

Thank you, Axe. I will attend with my notepad, study ahead of time to the best of my ability according to your sylabus and follow your lessons as they progress. Will you be scheduling a regular weekly time for these instructional group flights?
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Indeed I shall! The lessons will circulate regularly, probably 2-3 a week based on different topics ranging from radio navigation (tomorrow) to parts of the airport and its airspace (later on this week). Seems trivial, but there is a lot of interesting points to it.

Comment

Hello, I would be very interested in these lessons. A few quick question though:
        - What aircraft would be preferred (or would we be switching)?
        - Is there anything I should do beforehand?
        - What time is this taking place, I believe somewhere it said 2:00PM-5:00PM (what time zone would this be)?
        - If its EST I won't be able to make 10/2 so when you have future lessons would you eventually come back to the same material?
        - Last but not least, would you ever host these flights maybe later in the evening (I am still in school and can't get to flying until later at night)?

Thank you very much for your time and contribution to this server as well as enhancing mine and (I'm sure) many others flight experiences!
        [B][FONT=century gothic][I][SIZE=5]Sincerely-[/SIZE][/I][/FONT][/B]
        [FONT=Century Gothic][B][SIZE=6]HMHS B[SIZE=5]RITTANIC[/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by HMHS Brittanic View Post
          Hello, I would be very interested in these lessons. A few quick question though:
          - What aircraft would be preferred (or would we be switching)?
          - Is there anything I should do beforehand?
          - What time is this taking place, I believe somewhere it said 2:00PM-5:00PM (what time zone would this be)?
          - If its EST I won't be able to make 10/2 so when you have future lessons would you eventually come back to the same material?
          - Last but not least, would you ever host these flights maybe later in the evening (I am still in school and can't get to flying until later at night)?

Thank you very much for your time and contribution to this server as well as enhancing mine and (I'm sure) many others flight experiences!
          The aircraft that would be preferred and recommended will be the default FSX Cessna 172SP. Nothing is required of the participants before the lesson. The time should be translated into each participant's local time, but in case there are any discrepancies, the time for the lesson is 2000 (8:00 PM) EDT 02Oct13. This lesson will be repeated multiple times over the time I will be around, and the content will adjust to changing circumstances in the real world.

Comment

You know what would be really cool, record the course and post a video of it too. Would be nice to have a reference of the training to point people to that cant show up. Could be a weekly youtube segment. I know I would watch the ones I couldnt show up to (witch is alot being I work nights).

Just food for thought.

How many more people would watch it?
            Justin Johnson
            XJJohnsonX
            [email]XJJohnsonX@MSFlights.net[/email]

Any questions about the VA send me a message.

[img]http://www.msflights.net/pilots/phpvms/lib/signatures/MSF0045.png[/img]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit ✈ CPU: AMD FX-8120 ✈ RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 716MHz ✈ Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ✈ Graphics: 2048MB Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 200 Series ✈ Storage: 465GB SAMSUNG; 74GB Western Digital; 232GB Western Digital ✈ Audio: AMD High Definition Audio ✈ Antivirus: Avast! Internet Security[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Nice nice, specially if we have the chance to be real pilots in the future!
              Central American living wanna be pilot :)

Heavy hauler favorite! Jets:anonymous:
              Most of time near MPTO (Panama) and SPIM (Peru)

Favorite ACs for multiplayer
              B737-800 Any
              CRJ-700 Pacifica
              B747-400 Global Freights
              KingAir-350 Tricolor

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/CzarWilkins[/url]
              :D
              CPU:i5 4670k @4.2Ghz
              RAM:8Gb
              Video:GTX770 2GbRam

Comment

I would watch it even if I was able to attend. It would give me reinforcement lessons later at my leisure.

I will try to attend. Sounds fun and interesting.

Thanks for coming up with this course.
                Greetings from Dale
                Sound 4-U! - A Tulsa based sound company that provides sound reinforcement and mobile recording services.

Comment

I would love to attend this lesson, but i wont be home till 9pm est. But ill come in when i get home!

Comment

I will attend

Comment

Looking forward to it! Thank You!

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for attending tonight's lesson, and I hope you all learned new and exciting things about aviation.

Radio Navigation Study Guide
                        Route we flew

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X