Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSX: Sunday morning European tour (Sunday September 22th @ 12pm ET/4pm UTC)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX: Sunday morning European tour (Sunday September 22th @ 12pm ET/4pm UTC)

Join us this coming Sunday morning (at least for some of us) to begin a European journey. We will be starting in Humberside, England and making our way throughout Europe stopping in many countries.

This first leg will be: EGNJ>EGYC>HSD(VOR)>EHRD
    Cruise speed: 150kts

This tour will be using VOR's for navigation, so if you don't know how to navigate via VOR's, now's a good time to learn! If you want to learn how, check out a basic VOR tutorial I made here(I know it needs some minor edits): http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...1-VOR-Tutorial

We will be using a slightly edited flight plan of a tour that came with a FSX add on when I purchased my throttle quadrant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flight 1 Humberside Airport to Rotterdam

We follow the east coast of England and cross The Wash before heading out over the
    North Sea to the Netherlands and Rotterdam.

Humberside Airport, on the east coast of England is an ideal place to start our dramatic
    tour of Europe. Situated close to the port city of Kingston Upon Hull, more commonly
    referred to as simply Hull, this region is served by both international ferry and airline
    services and is considered a key gateway to Europe. Just to the northwest of the airport
    is the River Humber and the Humber Estuary. If you choose to take off from the
    north-westerly runway you will make a crossing of the River Humber over the very spot that it
    is believed that the Vikings first made landfall in the UK. Of more modern interest is the
    huge suspension bridge, the Humber Bridge that spans the River Humber. You may be
    surprised to know that this is the longest single span suspension bridge in the world and
    is considerably longer than the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco! The Romans also
    forded the River at this point, setting up settlements close to the airport.

We fly south-easterly across the “Wash”, a large body of water indenting into the
    geography of the UK from the North Sea, before heading out into the North Sea proper
    and making landfall on the Dutch coast at Rotterdam. The city of Rotterdam is also
    served by a ferry service from the city of Hull. Whilst our flight takes a little over an
    hour, a sea crossing is an overnight affair! Rotterdam is also home to the petrochemical
    industry with massive oil storage installations at the nearby Europort.

If you choose to fly using downloaded real world weather, please be aware that the
    breezes off the North Sea can cause significant crosswinds and coastal turbulence at
    the airport turning a benign arrival into something rather more challenging!

European Tour flight plan

Find the PDF and .PLN flight plan below (Just copy the .PLN file inside your Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder):

Again this tour will be using VOR navigation, so if you don't know how to use VOR here's a little tutorial where you can learn how(or you can just follow the flock ): http://msflights.net/forum/showthrea...1-VOR-Tutorial

Comment

Surprised you're flying into Coltishall rather than Norwich International just 5 miles away. Coltishall was a military airfield until its closure in 2006. From 2009, it became the site of HM Prison Bure, used primarily to accommodate up to 500 sex offenders.

Great idea to do these flights, by the way.

Comment

I will be there. looking forward to flying my Saturn V to 4,294,967,281 feet (813,440.7 miles) for the last leg.

I am thinking my C210 will be appropriate for this flight

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          From 2009, it became the site of HM Prison Bure, used primarily to accommodate up to 500 sex offenders.
          hmmm that will be an interesting trivia fact tomorrow

Originally posted by Flyingdreamz View Post
          I will be there. looking forward to flying my Saturn V to 4,294,967,281 feet (813,440.7 miles) for the last leg.
          Hmm that is rather odd it gave that altitude....I didn't notice lol

Comment

You may also have difficulty doing an inbound track to CSL as in FSX it's not a VOR, only a DME. :eagerness:
            (Nowadays, CSL is indeed a VOR - but in Italy! )

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
              If you choose to take off from the
              north-westerly runway you will make a crossing of the River Humber over the very spot that it
              is believed that the Vikings first made landfall in the UK.
              Although "Vikings" is a vague term, the first Viking landfall is generally accepted as being on the island of Lindisfarne, 135 nmi north of our departure point, where the monastery was pillaged in 793 CE. However, the Battle of Stamford Bridge, the site of which is indeed 32 nmi in the NW direction you mention, marked the end of the Viking Age in 1066 CE.

But there is another link with the Viking Age. The city name "Hull" is named after the river Hull that flows into the Humber estuary at that point, which may in turn be named for the Old Norse word "hullr" meaning "the deep one".

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
              Of more modern interest is the
              huge suspension bridge, the Humber Bridge that spans the River Humber. You may be
              surprised to know that this is the longest single span suspension bridge in the world and
              is considerably longer than the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco!
              The Humber Bridge is only the 7th longest single-span suspension bridge in the world. When it was built and opened in 1981, it was indeed the longest. However, it lost that record in 1998.

By the way, I grew up in Hull!

Comment

Thanks for all the info Storm, very interesting.

Thanks to all that flew this Sunday, here are some screenshots! http://imgur.com/gallery/TSKid/new

Comment

It was a good flight, cant wait for next weeks.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  Who has read this thread:
                  Working...
                  X